Adjacent vertices in convex polygons

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the distances of adjacent and non-adjacent vertices in convex polygons. It is believed that for a regular polygon, the distance between adjacent vertices is less than or equal to the distance between a vertex and a non-adjacent vertex. However, a counterexample was found for non-convex polygons. The discussion also mentions the possibility of proving this relationship for regular polygons.
Bipolarity
While reading a bit about dihedral groups, I encountered a curiosity regarding convex polygons that I'm not sure is true or false.

Given a convex polygon P, let A and B be adjacent vertices of this polygon and let C be a vertex of P not adjacent to A. Then is it necessarily the case that dist(A,B) <= dist(A,C) ?

'<=' is less than or equal to.

For a polygon that is not convex, I found a counterexample to this. For convex polygons, it seems true though I am curious as to how one would prove this, or where one should start.

Thanks!

BiP

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider the polygon defined by vertices A, B, C and D at (1,0), (100,100), (0,1), (0,0).

Ah interesting! I thought it was true so didn't proceed to think of counterexamples!
What if we added the restriction that P is a regular polygon? Then I'm pretty sure it's true, but how do we prove it?

Thanks again.

BiP

The vertices on a regular polygon will all lie on a circle and will be evenly spaced. The distance between a pair of vertices can be obtained based on the chord of the central angle between the vertices. The central angle and its chord are not difficult to find based on the number of sides between the vertices, the total number of sides of the polygon and the radius of the circle.

What are adjacent vertices in convex polygons?

Adjacent vertices in convex polygons refer to two vertices that are connected by an edge in a convex polygon. In other words, they are two vertices that are next to each other in the polygon's boundary.

How many adjacent vertices does a convex polygon have?

The number of adjacent vertices in a convex polygon depends on the number of sides it has. For example, a triangle has three adjacent vertices, while a pentagon has five adjacent vertices.

Can adjacent vertices be on non-adjacent sides of a convex polygon?

No, by definition, adjacent vertices in convex polygons must be connected by an edge, which means they must be on adjacent sides of the polygon. If they are on non-adjacent sides, they would not be considered adjacent vertices.

What is the relationship between adjacent vertices and angles in a convex polygon?

The angles formed by adjacent vertices in a convex polygon are always interior angles, meaning they are less than 180 degrees. This is because the exterior angles, formed by extending the sides of the polygon, are always greater than 180 degrees.

How can adjacent vertices be used to determine the perimeter of a convex polygon?

The distance between adjacent vertices is equal to the length of the side connecting them. Therefore, by adding the lengths of all the sides, which can be determined by finding the distance between adjacent vertices, the perimeter of the convex polygon can be calculated.