1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moments of inertia of a rectangular plate

1. Jul 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate round it's diagonal, line B-B is equal to the one round a line parallel to one of the edges and passing through the center, line C-C

2. Relevant equations
    Moment of inertia: ##I=mr^2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first case, round the diagonal: the MOI of a straight angle and isosceles triangle round one of the 2 identical edges is ##I=\frac{1}{6}ma^2##, and if i divide the plate into 4 such rectangles and calculate MOI it equals the one round line C-C.
    But is there an easier way?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Depending on your background knowledge, the symmetry of the square will tell you that they have to be equal.

4. Jul 11, 2015 #3
    I have little background knowledge, please hint the subject that i have to study, is it principal axes? as far as i (think) i know i can't know anything about the MOI itself around principal axis, especially if they aren't orthogonal, but i am not sure.
    Please guide me to a book or publication that explains this topic, but, if possible, without the complexity of determinants, tensors etc.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  5. Jul 11, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can do it with principal axes, but all that is required is noting that an axis through the corners is a linear combination of the axes through the center and the center of the sides, which must have the same moment of inertia due to symmetry.

6. Jul 11, 2015 #5
    So i just have to know the formula for modifying MOI with the changing of the angle of the axis?

7. Jul 11, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you want to call it a formula, fine. The point is that any axis in the plane of the square has the same moment of inertia because the axes spanning the plane do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted