Moment of inertia for rod with sphere attached

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
cp255
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An object is formed by attaching a uniform, thin rod with a mass of mr = 6.91 kg and length L = 4.88 m to a uniform sphere with mass ms = 34.55 kg and radius R = 1.22 m. Note ms = 5mr and L = 4R.

What is the moment of inertia of the object about an axis at the left end of the rod?

attachment.php?attachmentid=56284&stc=1&d=1362266421.png


Homework Equations


I came up with these equations...
I_rod = (1/3) * mr * L^2
I_sphere = (2/5) * ms * R^2 + ms * (L + R)

The Attempt at a Solution



I think that the moment of inertia for the system is equal to the sum of I_rod and I_sphere. So I simply plugged in the relevant variables and got the answer of 286.177 kg-m^2 which is wrong. Are the equations above correct?
 
Attachments
  • momentofinertia1new.png
    momentofinertia1new.png
    947 bytes · Views: 3,087
Physics news on Phys.org
cp255 said:
I_sphere = (2/5) * ms * R^2 + ms * (L + R)
That second term, from the parallel axis theorem, should have the distance squared.
 
Thanks. That was stupid of me. I did the problem twice and made the same mistake twice.