Moment of inertia in n dimensions.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moment of inertia in n dimensions and the possibility of evaluating it using a Monte Carlo method for an n-ball. It also raises questions about the relationship between mass and density in 2d and 3d and the feasibility of having mass in two dimensions. The suggested resource for further understanding is the book "Tensor Calculus" by Synge and Schild, specifically page 161 which discusses the fourth-order moment of inertia tensor in N-dimensions.
tarnhelm
I've just been thinking about moments of inertia in n dimensions and I just want to establish if this makes any sense:

I'm considering doing a Monte Carlo evaluation of the moment of inertia of any n-ball - a solid sphere in n dimensions. Now I think you can say that the moment of inertia of a sphere in 2d space - a circle - is (1/2)mr^2, this being about an axis through the centre, which in 2d space is merely the point in the centre. Now it is pretty run of the mill to integrate a circle like this in 3d space to get the moment of inertia of a sphere (or at least you're integrating an infinitesimally thin cynlinder). My question is - are the notions of mass and density in 3d the same as in 2d (and presumably by extension in all dimensions)? What is the exact relationship between a 2d "mass" or "density" and a 3d one? For one thing, density in 2d would have to have different units than in 3d. What exactly would a 2d mass be?

Of course it's possible that none of this makes any sense. After all, you can't really have mass in two dimensions, can you?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Possibly useful:
http://books.google.com/books?id=8vlGhlxqZjsC Tensor Calculus by Synge and Schild
Search for moment of inertia and get to page 161 to read about the fourth-order moment of inertia tensor in N-dimensions.

1. What is moment of inertia in n dimensions?

Moment of inertia in n dimensions is a physical quantity that describes an object's resistance to rotational motion around a particular axis. It is a measure of the distribution of mass around that axis.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated in n dimensions?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia in n dimensions is I = ∫r² dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to a small element of mass and dm is the mass of that element. This integral is taken over the entire object.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia in 2 dimensions and 3 dimensions?

In 2 dimensions, moment of inertia is calculated using a single axis of rotation, while in 3 dimensions, it is calculated using 3 perpendicular axes of rotation. This is because objects in 3 dimensions have more degrees of freedom for rotation.

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's motion?

The moment of inertia of an object determines how much torque is needed to rotate it at a certain angular acceleration. Objects with a higher moment of inertia require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as objects with a lower moment of inertia.

5. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative as it is a physical quantity that represents an object's resistance to rotation. It is always a positive value or zero for objects with no mass or mass concentrated at the axis of rotation.