1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia/ Kinetic Energy

1. Dec 23, 2008 #1
    A flywheel is a solid disk that rotates about an axis that is perpendicular to the disk at its center. Rotating flywheels provide a means for storing energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy and are being considered as a possible alternative to batteries in electric cars. The gasoline burned in a 260-mile trip in a typical midsize car produces about 1.3 x 10 9 J of energy. How fast would a 20-kg flywheel with a radius of 0.34 m have to rotate in order to store this much energy? Give your answer in rev/min.

I= 1/2mr squared
    J= 1/2 IW squared

1.3 X 10 9 = .5 x 1.156 x W squared

My speed is obviously incorrect. I do not understand where the distance (260 mile trip) comes into play in this problem
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

OK. What are the units of ω? You'll need to convert from those standard units to the requested units of rev/min.
    It doesn't. It's just there to provide some background information so the problem seems realistic.
  4. Dec 23, 2008 #3
    okay i got it. thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?