Moment of Inertia/ Kinetic Energy

In summary, a flywheel is a solid disk that can rotate about an axis to store energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy. It is being considered as an alternative to batteries in electric cars. To store the same amount of energy produced by burning gasoline in a 260-mile trip, a 20-kg flywheel with a radius of 0.34 m would have to rotate at a speed of 47425.04558 rev/min.
wallace13
A flywheel is a solid disk that rotates about an axis that is perpendicular to the disk at its center. Rotating flywheels provide a means for storing energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy and are being considered as a possible alternative to batteries in electric cars. The gasoline burned in a 260-mile trip in a typical midsize car produces about 1.3 x 10 9 J of energy. How fast would a 20-kg flywheel with a radius of 0.34 m have to rotate in order to store this much energy? Give your answer in rev/min.

I= 1/2mr squared
J= 1/2 IW squared

.5*20*(.34*.34)
I=1.156
1.3 X 10 9 = .5 x 1.156 x W squared
W=47425.04558

My speed is obviously incorrect. I do not understand where the distance (260 mile trip) comes into play in this problem

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
wallace13 said:
.5*20*(.34*.34)
I=1.156
1.3 X 10 9 = .5 x 1.156 x W squared
W=47425.04558
OK. What are the units of ω? You'll need to convert from those standard units to the requested units of rev/min.
I do not understand where the distance (260 mile trip) comes into play in this problem
It doesn't. It's just there to provide some background information so the problem seems realistic.

okay i got it. thanks

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each individual particle in an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing these values together.

3. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and kinetic energy?

The moment of inertia determines how much rotational energy is needed to change an object's rotational speed. In other words, the higher the moment of inertia, the more kinetic energy is required to rotate the object.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in determining its moment of inertia. Objects with a larger radius of mass distribution will have a higher moment of inertia, while objects with a smaller radius will have a lower moment of inertia.

5. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion.