Moment of Inertia of a Right Triangle

In summary, the moment of inertia of a thin right triangle metal sign for a car dealership, with base length b, height h, and mass m, for rotation about the side of length h is equal to 1/6 Mb^2. This is derived by using the formula for density, mass/area, and the equation for the height of the slice, y = -(h/b)x + h, to calculate the integral for inertia, resulting in an answer of 1/6 Mb^2.
fajoler

Homework Statement

A metal sign for a car dealership is a thin, uniform right triangle with base length b and height h. The sign has mass m. What is the moment of inertia of the sign for rotation about the side of length h?

Homework Equations

I = [tex]\int[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex]dm

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so I started off by trying to convert the integral so that it is in terms of dr rather than dm. So, I calculated that dm = [tex]\rho[/tex] dA.

then from there, the integral can be written as I = [tex]\oint[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex](h/b)rdr

A little bit of simplifying will give us I = [tex]\int[/tex]r[tex]^{3}[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex](h/b)dr

bounded from 0 to b.

If we solve the integral, we get I = (1/4)b[tex]^{4}[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex](h/b) - 0

Which we can simplify further to I = (1/4)b[tex]^{3}[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex]h

The only problem is, the question asks for I to be in terms of the given values, so I have to somehow change [tex]\rho[/tex] into something in terms of b, h, and m. I'm not sure how to do this though because a 2D object shouldn't even have density, should it?

Thanks for the help!

Likes Mitchel Haas
Physics news on Phys.org
It has mass and area, so it has density = mass/area = m/(.5bh).

I fear you may have a mistake in the early stage where you have not shown enough detail for me to follow. I made a diagram showing a "slice" of the triangle at x, part way between x=0 and b along the base. The slice is trapezoidal but can be safely approximated as a rectangle. It's area dA = y*dx where y is the height of the slice. I think your r is my x. Tricky little relationship between y and x; I guess it is the formula for the line forming the hypotenuse. If I were you I would write out those steps carefully to make sure you have the right expression before integrating.

so y = mx + b and we can calculate that y = (-h/b) x assuming the point of rotation is aligned at the origin right?which means dA = (-h/b) x dxNow since r is the distance from the origin, or the point of rotation, can we say that r is equal to x and dx is equal to dr?then now that we know that density = mass/area, density equals mass/(0.5*b*h) right?
This is how I derived my integral for Inertia, but it gives me the wrong answer. What did I do wrong?
By the way the answer I got was
I = 1/2 M b^2

Last edited:
so y = mx + b and we can calculate that y = (-h/b) x assuming the point of rotation is aligned at the origin right?
It says "rotation about the side of length h" so it seems to me that at x = 0, we must have y = h. At x = b, y = 0. If you plug those two points into y = mx + b, you'll get a different and more complex formula for y.

Likes Mitchel Haas
ah youre right.so would the equation for y then be y = -(h/b)x + h?If I use this as my equation for y, and plug it into the integral for inertia, I come up with an answer of 1/6 Mb^2.this is the correct answer. thanks for walking me through this problem. I greatly appreciate it!

Most welcome!

1. What is the moment of inertia of a right triangle?

The moment of inertia of a right triangle is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotation. It is the sum of the moments of inertia of all the infinitesimal elements that make up the triangle.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a right triangle calculated?

The moment of inertia of a right triangle can be calculated using the formula I = (1/36) * m * h^2, where m is the mass of the triangle and h is the height of the triangle.

3. What does the moment of inertia tell us about a right triangle?

The moment of inertia tells us about the distribution of mass within the right triangle. A higher moment of inertia means that the mass is distributed further away from the axis of rotation, making it harder to rotate the triangle.

4. How does the moment of inertia change with respect to the axis of rotation?

The moment of inertia changes depending on the location of the axis of rotation. If the axis of rotation is closer to the base of the triangle, the moment of inertia will be smaller. If the axis of rotation is closer to the tip of the triangle, the moment of inertia will be larger.

5. How is the moment of inertia of a right triangle useful in physics?

The moment of inertia is useful in physics because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects. It is an important factor in determining how much torque is needed to rotate a right triangle, and it also plays a role in the conservation of angular momentum.