Moment of Inertia of an Ellipsoid

In summary, the person is experiencing trouble with a problem and is seeking help to find where they went wrong. They also inquire about how to properly format equations in a post. Another person offers advice on how to format equations and the original person expresses gratitude for the help.
metgt4
I seem to be off by a factor of 2 on the answer to this problem but I can't find where I went wrong. The term in front should be 1/5 and not 2/5. Does anybody see the mistake in my work? It is attached in a word document because I can't figure out how to put the equations into this post otherwise.

Thanks!
Andrew

Attachments

• Moment of Inertia.doc
    81 KB · Views: 282
Physics news on Phys.org
Just to let you know, many people, myself included, that might otherwise have a look at your stuff won't bother to open a word document. It is as easy to put your equations here as in a word document in the first place.

I tried to put the equations in my post but it didn't seem to work. Is there any special way to put equations into a post that I'm not seeing?

You put the equations in LaTeX format surrounded by tex tags. You can learn just by looking at other's posts. For example just to give you some ideas, click on this:

[tex]H(x)=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac {f^2(x)}{g(x,\theta)} d\theta[/tex]

Thanks! That helped a lot

Related to Moment of Inertia of an Ellipsoid

1. What is the moment of inertia of an ellipsoid?

The moment of inertia of an ellipsoid is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a tensor quantity that describes how mass is distributed around the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of an ellipsoid calculated?

The moment of inertia of an ellipsoid can be calculated using the ellipsoid's mass, dimensions, and orientation. There are various formulas and methods that can be used depending on the shape and orientation of the ellipsoid.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an ellipsoid?

The moment of inertia of an ellipsoid is affected by its mass, dimensions, and orientation. The shape of the ellipsoid also plays a significant role in determining its moment of inertia.

4. What is the significance of the moment of inertia of an ellipsoid?

The moment of inertia of an ellipsoid is an important physical property that is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and astronomy. It helps in analyzing the rotational motion and stability of objects.

5. Can the moment of inertia of an ellipsoid be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of an ellipsoid can be changed by altering its mass distribution, dimensions, or orientation. For example, changing the shape of an ellipsoid can significantly affect its moment of inertia.