1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia Problems and Conservation of Energy

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    I have this situation here:

GIANCOLI.ch10.p067.jpg

I'm given the masses for the objects, as well as the radius and mass of the pulley. I have to use conservation of energy laws to find out how fast the mass on the right is going the instant it hits the ground.

I can find out what the alpha of the pulley is, and therefore the accelration of the system, but that's just kinematics. How can I use conservation of energy to do it?

How could I do it if the pulley was ideal?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Compare the total mechanical energy of the system before and after the mass falls.

4. Nov 30, 2009 #3
    I don't follow...

I see that there is none before, and some after, when the block b has zero potential energy, block A has potential and kinetic energy, and the pulley has rotational kinetic energy...but if I knew those values then I could just save the trouble and use kinematics.

5. Nov 30, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Set up a conservation equation:
    KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2

Make sure you include the PE and KE of both masses and the pulley. You'll be able to solve for the speed of block B without using force equations or kinematics. Hint: Express all the KE terms in terms of the speed of block B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook