Moment(torque) help (bycicle crankset)

• Thread starter KansaiRobot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the total force (Ftot) applied to a bicycle crankset, given only the force and moments in a sensor in the center. It is mentioned that Mz and Mx are generated by F"y, and F"x and F"z are generated by My. The question of how to find F"x and F"z from the given data is raised, as well as the relationship between the forces at the pedal and the forces sensed at the sensor. It is suggested that the forces are equal and opposite in each direction, and the formula (Ftot)² = (Fx)² + (Fy)² + (Fz)² is mentioned. The user also clar
KansaiRobot
Hello everybody.
I would appreciate your help in something I have been thinking all day (and now I am doing an allnighter, without result ):confused: (by the way, this is not "homework" since I am not at school. I have written the questions as well)

Please take a look at the attached pic. It is a bycicle crankset. Now

1) There is a sensor in the center. It can sense Fx, Fy and Fz and also Mx, My and Mz. (where F are forces and M moments (or torques))

2) The rider applies a Total force (Ftot) in the pedal. This Total Force can be decomposed as (F"x, F"y, F"z)-> just a notation.

My problem is that I have to find Ftot and the only data I have is the force and moments in the sensor.
----------------------------------

Now, I have done this so far:

1) I can see that Mz and Mx are generated ONLY by F"y. So I guess I can find F"y quite easily:

||F"y||= ||Mz||/(radius of crank)

2) I can see that My is generated by BOTH F"x and F"z.

----------------------

Now how can I get F"x and F"z from My (data)?

On related notes what is the relationship between the forces at the pedal(F"x, F"y, F"z) and the forces at the sensor? (Fx, Fy, Fz)
THIS is KEY I think!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Kansai

Attachments

• cranckvectors.JPG
    cranckvectors.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
If the forces involved are all in the diagrams you've shown, the forces are equal and opposite in each direction and:

(Ftot)² = (Fx)² + (Fy)² + (Fz)²

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if I have been misleading with my not-so-good graphics.

The user applies a force (Ftot) over the pedal.

when I draw Fx, Fy and Fz (on the sensor) what I meant was that the sensor senses forces there. I didnt mean that there are aditional forces applied there. i don't know if I made sense, sorry.

I am thinking that somehow Fx and Fz (forces "sensed" at the sensor) are proportional to F"x and F"z(real forces applied to the pedal)

Any thoughts please?

1. What is moment (torque) in relation to bicycle cranksets?

Moment, also known as torque, is the measure of the amount of force applied to rotate an object around an axis. In the case of bicycle cranksets, it is the force applied to the pedals to rotate the crank arms and move the bicycle forward.

2. How does the length of the crank arms affect the moment (torque) in a bicycle crankset?

The longer the crank arms, the greater the distance from the axis of rotation (pedal axle), which results in a greater moment (torque) being applied to the crankset. This can make it easier to pedal at a slower cadence, but it may also require more effort to maintain a higher cadence.

3. What other factors besides crank arm length can affect the moment (torque) in a bicycle crankset?

The gear ratio, or the number of teeth on the front and rear gears, also plays a role in the moment (torque) of a bicycle crankset. A lower gear ratio results in a greater moment (torque) being applied to the crankset, making it easier to pedal uphill or in a lower gear. Additionally, the rider's body weight, speed, and riding style can also influence the moment (torque) on the crankset.

4. How can I increase or decrease the moment (torque) in my bicycle crankset?

To increase the moment (torque), you can either increase the length of the crank arms or decrease the gear ratio. To decrease the moment (torque), you can do the opposite - decrease the crank arm length or increase the gear ratio. It is important to find the right balance for your riding style and needs.

5. Is there an ideal moment (torque) for a bicycle crankset?

The ideal moment (torque) for a bicycle crankset varies for each rider and depends on factors such as riding style, terrain, and fitness level. It is important to find a moment (torque) that allows you to pedal comfortably and efficiently without causing strain or injury.