Moments, calculating torque ,

In summary, Homework Equations require finding the tension in the strings as a function of 'x'. If x is greater than 6, then one of the strings will break.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

I am stuck on question 6c on this paper. Can anyone have a look at it please. I don't know were to start.

do I place the rock 'x' meters away from one of the strings and set one of the strings tension to 40g?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• M1J.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 158
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that will work.

Find the tension in the strings as a function of 'x'.

Doc Al said:
Yes, that will work.

Find the tension in the strings as a function of 'x'.

Okay I have done this, but I don't get the right answer.

heres my working,

taking moments about A [tex] (490 \times 4) + (196 \times x) = 392 \times 8 [/tex]

[tex] 1960 + 196x = 3136 [/tex]

[tex] 196x = 1176 [/tex]

[tex] x = 6 [/tex]

is my diagram correct?
http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/attachments/advanced-applied-math/9244d1229179227-mechanics-help-untitled.jpg

the right answer is [tex] \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Your work and diagram are perfectly correct. You just need to translate your answer into the form that they want. They asked for the fraction of the board, not the position of the mass. :wink:

Doc Al said:
Your work and diagram are perfectly correct. You just need to translate your answer into the form that they want. They asked for the fraction of the board, not the position of the mass. :wink:

I don't know how to work that out...

What does your answer (x = 6) mean? What happens for x > 6? You did torques about point A, what if you did the same thing about point B?

(Hint: In your diagram, mark each portion of the board where placing the mass would lead to a string breaking.)

Doc Al said:
What does your answer (x = 6) mean? What happens for x > 6? You did torques about point A, what if you did the same thing about point B?

(Hint: In your diagram, mark each portion of the board where placing the mass would lead to a string breaking.)

x=6 means the distance the weight of the rock acts from point A?

if x is greater than 6 than one of the strings will break right?

tweety1234 said:
x=6 means the distance the weight of the rock acts from point A?

if x is greater than 6 than one of the strings will break right?
Right. So how much of the board is "off limits" for the string not to break? (Consider both ends.)

doc al said:
right. So how much of the board is "off limits" for the string not to break? (consider both ends.)

8-6=2?

tweety1234 said:
8-6=2?
Yes, viewed from side A. Now view from the other side.

Doc Al said:
Yes, viewed from side A. Now view from the other side.

it would be the same wouldn't it?

I don't think I am going to ever understand this hehe

so thanks for you help!

edit: is it 4?

tweety1234 said:
it would be the same wouldn't it?
That's right.

edit: is it 4?
Yes. Analzying things form side A tells you that placing the mass between 6 and 8 meters from A will cause string B to break. A similar analysis applies from side B. That means 2 m on both ends of the board are off limits--a total of 4 m out of 8. What fraction is that? :wink:

Doc Al said:
That's right.

Yes. Analzying things form side A tells you that placing the mass between 6 and 8 meters from A will cause string B to break. A similar analysis applies from side B. That means 2 m on both ends of the board are off limits--a total of 4 m out of 8. What fraction is that? :wink:

OH MY GOD I GET IT NOW!

thanks for patiently helping me

What are moments in physics?

Moments, also known as torque, are a measure of the turning effect of a force. They are used in physics to describe rotational motion and are calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point.

How is torque calculated?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the pivot point. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system. In other systems, it can be measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) or dyne-centimeters (dyn-cm).

What is the difference between torque and force?

Torque and force are related but different concepts. Force is a push or pull on an object, while torque is a measure of the turning effect of that force. In other words, torque is a force applied at a distance from a pivot point, causing rotational motion.

What are some real-life examples of torque?

There are many examples of torque in everyday life, such as opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, or riding a bike. In each of these situations, a force is applied at a distance from a pivot point, causing rotational motion.