Moments - Principle of moments question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jambob28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moments Principle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
Jambob28
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
physicshomework1.jpg



I am trying to determine force X

I know it is the principle of moments so I think you use this equarion - not sure though:

In equilibrium
(the sum of)anticlockwise moments = (the sum of) clockwise moments

however I am not sure how to do it?

thanks for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Jambob28! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Hint: you need to take moments about a point

the question asks you where the third horizontal force is

which point do you think you should take moments about? :smile:
 
Hi thanks for your help.

I am guessing the other arrow would be at the same level as arrow B but right instead of left?
So
B Y
<-----------|||||----------->

I really am pretty useless so I'm probably wrong.
 
hmm … look at the first diagram …

where is the third place where a force can be exerted? :smile:
 
well I guess you could pull it the other way?

so:
Y <-------------|||-----------> Pull