Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Energy gives different answer

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    So this may be an easy question, I'm not sure, but I could not find an answer online. Basically here is the scenario.

There are two balls, one has a mass of 1g and the other has a mass of 100g. The 1g ball is traveling at 10m/s, and strikes the other ball. According to momentum, m1v1=m2v2. Using this equation, we have 1g(10m/s)=100g(v2). v2 then equals 0.1 m/s.

The problem I have is that when using kinetic energy, I get a different velocity of the second ball. The first ball has an energy of .5(1g)(10m/s)^2, which is 50 joules. If the first ball then transfers these 50 joules to the second ball, using the same equation I get the second ball having a final velocity of 50=.5(100g)(v^2), or 1 m/s.

Why am I getting different answers? Shouldn't both equations give the same answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The answer is simple: The collision as you have established it is not elastic. In other words, energy isn't conserved. In an elastic, head-on collision the small ball will bounce back with nearly the same speed it had before the collision and the big ball will move forward with a tiny velocity:

[tex]m_1 v_{1,\text{init}} = m_1 v_{1,\text{final}} + m_2v_2[/tex]

and

[tex]m_1 v_{1,\text{init}}^2 = m_1 v_{1,\text{final}}^2 + m_2v_2^2[/tex]

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks for you help. This helps me in some practice I am getting in to be better in mathematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?