Momentum Eigenstate: Meaning of <psi|p|psi>, etc.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
imagemania
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am trying to translate what is meant by:
<psi | p | psi>
<psi|p^2|psi>
<psi | x | psi>
In a mathematicaly context as shown by this link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110521103632AASz9Hm


Can anyone specify what these mean?

Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi imagemania! :smile:

<| denotes a row vector

|| denotes a matrix

|> denotes a column vector :wink:​
 
Ok, but I am still not following how he got one for the first question:
<psi | p | psi> = 0

for the integral:
[tex]\psi = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} {e}^{-\alpha {(k-{k}_{0})}^{2}}{e}^{ikx} dk[/tex]

Thanks
 
not following you …

ψ is as given, and p is the momentum operator :confused:​
 
Perhaps i'll ignore that post and go back to the fundamental question. From my understanding,
[tex]\bar{p}=\frac{hk}{2 \pi}[/tex]. Knowing [tex]\psi[/tex] is there a way to deduce a better answer to [tex]\bar{p}[/tex] or is it just as I said here?

I am also unsure about the equation for mean value of x.

Thanks :)
 
It's Dirac notation. For an operator A, you can write
[tex]\langle \psi | \hat{A} | \psi \rangle = \int \psi^*(x)\hat{A}\psi(x)\,dx[/tex]
You've been given the wave function. What you need to do next is look up how to express the operators x, p, and p2 appropriately.