1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum, enegy and collisions

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    A proton (mass 1 u) moving at 7.80 x10^6m/s collides elastically and head-on with a second particle moving in the opposite direction at 2.40x10^6 m/s. After the collision, the proton is moving opposite to its initial direction at 6.60x10^6m/s. Find the mass and final velocity of the second particle. [Take the proton's initial velocity to be in the positive direction.]

I tried using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy to do this. I get this big mess that i cannot solve for.. Please show me how i would do this. i would like to learn to do these problems. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: momentum

You should have 2 equations with 2 unknowns from each of the conservations.

Make it simpler by dropping the powers of 10 and add it back as a factor at the end.

Try writing out your equations here.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3

so if we let m1 be the proton. we have..
    (7.8)-(m2)(2.4)=(-6.6)+m2v2
    (7.8^2)+m2(2.4^2)=(6.6^2)+m2(v2)^2

m2 = [(7.8^2)-(6.6^2)]/[(v2)^2-(2.4^2)]

and then when i plug it back in, i get a quadratic. that gives me a mass considerably larger than the other one.

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4

What do you mean considerably? If your maths is right then what stops the second particle being very large?

The Bob

6. Mar 2, 2009 #5

my math is probably bad, that is why i was hoping someone could show me the math so i can see where i went wrong

7. Mar 2, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

OK. So you can say that

m*(v + 2.4) = 14.4 from the first equation. And ...

m*(V2 - 2.42) = 7.82 - 6.62

Note that this factors easily into

m*(V + 2.4)(V - 2.4) = 7.82 - 6.62

But from the first equation you know m*(v + 2.4) = 14.4 So ...

14.4*(V - 2.4) = 7.82 - 6.62

Much easier than a quadratic to solve.

EDIT: Sorry the 7.82 and 6.62 terms got translated incorrectly. I fixed them now.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  8. Mar 2, 2009 #7

that is much easier and such.. and after working it out.. i did not get the right answer. the answer was 3.6 doing that gave me 1.2

9. Mar 2, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sorry. I apparently switched two terms inadvertently in typing it out. I just fixed it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook