Momentum Head on Collision Cart Problem

In summary, two remote control cars with masses of 1.11 kilograms and 1.81 kilograms collide head-on at speeds of 8.75 meters per second and 3.39 meters per second, respectively. The less massive car recoils with a speed of 2.99 meters per second. To find the amount of kinetic energy lost in the collision, use the equation \DeltaKE = \frac{1}{2}(m1v1,f2 + m2v2,f2 - m1v1,i2 - m2v2,i2) and solve for the final velocity of the less massive car using conservation of momentum.
bleedblue1234

Homework Statement

Two remote control cars with masses of 1.11 kilograms and 1.81 kilograms travel toward each other at speeds of 8.75 meters per second and 3.39 meters per second, respectively. The cars collide head-on, and the less massive car recoils with a speed of 2.99 meters per second. How much kinetic energy was lost in the collision?

Homework Equations

no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how to start... I was thinking we could calculate the total momentum of the system then calculate the ideal final velocity of the less massive cart then calculate the difference?

Would you fine the total momentum of the system... thus (1.11 kg)(8.75 m)+(1.81 kg)(- 3.39m) = 3.5766 kg * m /s then divide that by 1.11 kg to find the ideal velocity of the smaller cart... or 3.22216ish m/s... then get the kinetic energy of that which will be 1/2(1.11)(3.2216)^2 = 5.762192 J , then find the kinetic energy of the kinetic energy of it actually, or 1/2(1.11)(2.99)^2 = 4.961755 then subtract 5.7621 - 4.9617 = .800 J ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're on the right track. Use conservation of momentum to find the velocity of the other cart after the collision. The total kinetic energy before the collision can be calculated using (1/2)*m*v^2 for each of the carts. If you do the same after, the kinetic energy will be less. So you're right, subtract.

Ultimately, we are trying to find [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE which is equal to KEf - KEi.

KEf = KE1,f + KE2,f and KEi = KE1,i + KE2,i

KEf = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m1v1,f2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m2v2,f2 and KEi = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m1v1,i2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m2v2,i2

Therefore, [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](m1v1,f2 + m2v2,f2 - m1v1,i2 - m2v2,i2)

Of course, we don't know v2,f, so we have to use conservation of momentum to find it.

Since the law of conservation of momentum tells us that pi = pf and we know p = mv, then it follows that m1v1,i + m2v2,i = m1v1,f + m2v2,f

Solving for v2,f, we get v2,f = ( m1v1,i + m2v2,i - m1v1,f ) / m2

After solving for v2,f, you can substitute that value into the [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE equation, and that should tell you the amount of KE lost.

1. What is momentum in a head-on collision?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a head-on collision, the momentum of each object involved is conserved, meaning that the total momentum before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How does the mass of the objects affect the outcome of a head-on collision?

The mass of an object is directly proportional to its momentum. In a head-on collision, the object with a larger mass will have a greater momentum and therefore will exert a greater force on the other object. This can result in a greater change in velocity for the lighter object.

3. How does the velocity of the objects affect the outcome of a head-on collision?

The velocity of an object is directly proportional to its momentum. In a head-on collision, the object with a higher velocity will have a greater momentum and therefore will exert a greater force on the other object. This can result in a greater change in velocity for the slower object.

4. Do elastic or inelastic collisions conserve momentum in a head-on collision?

Both elastic and inelastic collisions conserve momentum in a head-on collision. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off of each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together after the collision, but their combined momentum remains the same.

5. How can momentum be calculated in a head-on collision?

Momentum can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. In a head-on collision, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Therefore, the momentum of each object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity before and after the collision.