1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum/Impulse Graph Finding Velocity

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    Momentum/Impulse Graph....Finding Velocity

A 0.125 kg ball, moving in the positive direction at 12 m/s, is acted on by the impulse shown in the graph in Figure 9-16 What is the ball's speed at 4.0 s?

If the picture doesnt load as an attachment I'll have to try it again.

Okay so I'm not sure where to start when lookin at this graph. I think I start with finding the original momentum which is 1.5. The main problem is reading the graph. Again with this one I'm just stuck with how to read the graph.

bp

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2
    Can someone point me in the right direction?

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The graph does not load. Try again.

ehild

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4
    It says they are pending approval.

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5

verty

Homework Helper

Is it a velocity-time graph?

7. Nov 5, 2006 #6
    Nope there is Force in the Y and Time in the X

8. Nov 5, 2006 #7
    On the Y there are 3 tick marks in this order top to bottom 2 0 -2.
    On the X there are the numbers 1-4 (time in seconds).

From 0-1 in the X it follows the 0 on the Y, from 2-3 there is an impulse that goes up to the 2 (Coordinate 2,2) in the Y then from 3-4 it remains on 0 force. Probably nm help but not sure what else to do like getting it approved or w/e.

9. Nov 5, 2006 #8
    Does anyone know how to get the image approved?

10. Nov 5, 2006 #9

verty

Homework Helper

So it looks like a square wave, right? 0, then 2, then 0? Do you know the impulse formula? If you do, you have all but 1 variable.

11. Nov 5, 2006 #10
    triangle wave and the point is between 1-3 on top of the 2 in the X...ive tried that but it doesnt give me the answer.

i can find initial momentum but how do i find speed at 4 seconds?

12. Nov 5, 2006 #11
    Impulse is the change in momentum. Find the area under the curve and add that to the initial momentum

13. Nov 5, 2006 #12
    that didnt do it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?