Momentum. Kinetic energy lost in the collision.

In summary, a railroad car of mass M moving at a speed v1 collides and couples with two coupled railroad cars, each of the same mass M and moving in the same direction at a speed v2. The speed of the three coupled cars after the collision can be expressed as (M*v_1+M*v_2+M*v_2)/(3M). The amount of kinetic energy lost in the collision can be represented by 1/2*M*[-2/3*v_1^2 +4/3*v_1*v_2-2/3v_2^2], but this expression can be simplified. The correct expression for the change in kinetic energy is -1/3*M*(v_
qwerty159
A railroad car of mass M moving at a speed v1 collides and couples with two coupled railroad cars, each of the same mass M and moving in the same direction at a speed v2.

(a) What is the speed vf of the three coupled cars after the collision in terms of v1 and v2? (Use M, v_1 for v1, and v_2 for v2 as appropriate.)

a) (M*v_1+M*v_2+M*v_2)/(3M)

(b) How much kinetic energy is lost in the collision? Answer in terms of M, v1, and v2. (Use M, v_1 for v1, and v_2 for v2 as appropriate.)

b) I don't get this I had this for the answer. 1/2*M*[-2/3*v_1^2 +4/3*v_1*v_2-2/3v_2^2]
but it is wrong...

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
qwerty159 said:
A railroad car of mass M moving at a speed v1 collides and couples with two coupled railroad cars, each of the same mass M and moving in the same direction at a speed v2.

(a) What is the speed vf of the three coupled cars after the collision in terms of v1 and v2? (Use M, v_1 for v1, and v_2 for v2 as appropriate.)

a) (M*v_1+M*v_2+M*v_2)/(3M)
While the expression is correct, you can simplify it some more.
(b) How much kinetic energy is lost in the collision? Answer in terms of M, v1, and v2. (Use M, v_1 for v1, and v_2 for v2 as appropriate.)

b) I don't get this I had this for the answer. 1/2*M*[-2/3*v_1^2 +4/3*v_1*v_2-2/3v_2^2]
but it is wrong...
Can you show how you arrived at your result?

qwerty159 said:
but it is wrong...

thanks

Note the sign: It is the change of KE, not the lost KE.
And simplify the expression.

ehild

1. What is momentum and how is it related to kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and it is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The two are related because an object's momentum can be used to calculate its kinetic energy using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2.

2. How is momentum conserved during a collision?

Momentum is conserved during a collision, meaning that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is because the forces acting on the objects involved in the collision cancel each other out, resulting in no change in the total momentum.

3. How does the loss of kinetic energy affect the outcome of a collision?

The loss of kinetic energy in a collision can cause the objects involved to slow down or come to a complete stop. This can result in damage to the objects or a change in their direction of motion.

4. Can the kinetic energy lost in a collision be recovered?

The kinetic energy lost in a collision is usually converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In some cases, it may be possible to recover some of the lost kinetic energy, but it is not always practical or efficient.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to the loss of kinetic energy in a collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. A perfectly elastic collision has a coefficient of restitution of 1, meaning that no kinetic energy is lost. In reality, most collisions are not perfectly elastic and some kinetic energy is lost, resulting in a coefficient of restitution less than 1.