Momentum of bullet fired into target

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the average force exerted by a bullet on a target in a ballistics test. Using kinematic equations, the initial and final velocities of the bullet and target are calculated. The concept of momentum conservation is also mentioned, and the correct equation to use for solving for the average force is discussed. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with finding the correct values for mass, velocity, and time to accurately solve for the average force.
Metalsonic75
[SOLVED] Momentum of bullet fired into target

In a ballistics test, a 23.0 g bullet traveling horizontally at 1100 m/s goes through a 40.0 cm-thick 250 kg stationary target and emerges with a speed of 800 m/s. The target is free to slide on a smooth horizontal surface. What average force does the bullet exert on the target?

Using kinematic equations, I was able to solve for the acceleration, and use that to solve for the time, which ended up being 4.21*10^-4. I then used the equation F_avg = m(v_f - v_i) / t in an attempt to solve for average force. I plugged in values for the bullet (m=0.023m v_f=800m/s v_i=1100m/s, t = 4.21*10^-4. and ended up with an answer of 17800 N.
This answer is wrong. I also came up with 16,400N, 16,340N and 16,300N, all of which tell me I am off by an "additive constant." Am I using the right equation to solve for F_avg, but just the wrong values for mass and velocity? And what is an additive constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you accounted for the momentum lost to the block?

Metalsonic75 said:
In a ballistics test, a 23.0 g bullet traveling horizontally at 1100 m/s goes through a 40.0 cm-thick 250 kg stationary target and emerges with a speed of 800 m/s. The target is free to slide on a smooth horizontal surface. What average force does the bullet exert on the target?

Using kinematic equations, I was able to solve for the acceleration...
You may have assumed that the distance traveled during the deceleration phase is 40cm. This is incorrect. The target is moving while the bullet passes through it.

Hint: You can calculate the final velocity of the target independently.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
Have you accounted for the momentum lost to the block?

I hadn't. Now I tried some more things. Since P = mv, I calculated the initial momentum of the bullet to be 0.023*1100=25.3, and the final momentum of the bullet to be 0.023*800 = 18.4. Does that mean the bullet lost 6.9 whatevers (kg*m/s?) of momentum to the target? Does 6.9 = (mass of bullet + mass of target)*initial velocity of the bullet/target combo?

The final velocity of the target is zero, right? Or is "final velocity" defined as the velocity of the target when the bullet leaves it?
Is the final velocity of the target 6.9/250kg = 0.276m/s?

I guess my real question is what do I need to plug in for m, v_f, and v_i in the equation I stated originally for F_avg. Is the mass the combined mass, the bullet's mass, or the target's mass, and are the velocities needed the velocities of the bullet, the target or the combined system? Is the equation the right one to use?

Last edited:
Look at the situation just before the bullet enters the target ("intial") and again, just after it leaves the target ("final").

Initially, the bullet has all the momentum as the target is at rest. Finally, the bullet has some of the momentum and the target has the remaining (from momentum conservation). The final velocity of the target can thus be calculated and you will get exactly what you have written down in post #5.

Next, call the contact time t, and let the average force exchanged between the target and bullet (the forces are equal by Newton's III Law) be F. From the masses of the bullet and target you can compute their average deceleration and acceleration, respectively. And finally, you can relate the contact time and the average acceleration to the change in velocity for each of them. That's 2 equations in 2 unknowns.

Got it! Thank you very much for your help.

1. What is momentum and how does it relate to a bullet fired into a target?

Momentum is a property of a moving object that is determined by its mass and velocity. In the case of a bullet, the momentum is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. When a bullet is fired into a target, its momentum is transferred to the target, causing it to move or deform.

2. How does the mass of a bullet affect its momentum?

The greater the mass of a bullet, the greater its momentum will be. This is because momentum is directly proportional to mass. Therefore, a heavier bullet will have more momentum when fired into a target compared to a lighter bullet with the same velocity.

3. Is momentum conserved during the process of a bullet hitting a target?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external forces acting on it. When a bullet is fired into a target, the momentum of the bullet is transferred to the target, resulting in a decrease in the bullet's momentum and an increase in the target's momentum. However, the total momentum of the system remains the same.

4. How does the velocity of a bullet affect its momentum?

The greater the velocity of a bullet, the greater its momentum will be. This is because momentum is directly proportional to velocity. Therefore, a bullet traveling at a higher velocity will have more momentum when fired into a target compared to a bullet traveling at a lower velocity.

5. Can the momentum of a bullet be changed after it has been fired into a target?

Yes, the momentum of a bullet can be changed after it has been fired into a target. This can occur if the target is able to exert a force on the bullet, causing it to change its direction or speed. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance can also affect the momentum of the bullet as it travels through the air.