1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum physics using vectors.

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Block 1 (0.5 kg) travels with an initial velocity of [ 60i ] + [ 40j ] m/s and then collides with block 2 (0.5 kg) traveling with an initial velocity of [ -60i ] + [ -60j ] m/s.
    After the collision, block 1 has a final momentum of [ 0i ] + [ 5j ] kg*m/s. Assume that no external forces are present and therefore the momentum for the system of blocks is conserved.

What is the total initial momentum of the system of blocks?
    i + j kg*m/s

What is the change in momentum for block 1?
    i + j kg*m/s

What is the change in momentum for block 2?
    i + j kg*m/s

What is the final momentum of block 2?
    i + j kg*m/s
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What are the initial kinetic energies of block 1, block 2, and the system of blocks?
    Block 1: J
    Block 2: J
    System of blocks: J

What are the final kinetic energies of block 1, block 2, and the system of blocks?

What is the change in kinetic energy of the system of blocks due to the collision?
    J

2. Relevant equations

p=mv

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried P1x= -10-40*.5
    p1y=0
    p2x=2.5-40*.5
    where i got the final velocity from m1v1 +m2v2 + etc. =m1v1 +m2v2 + etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It helps to be clearer about your notation:
    If the initial momentum is ##\vec{p}## and the final is ##\vec{q}## then
    ##\vec{p}=\vec{p}_1+\vec{p}_2## right?

If ##\vec{u}## and ##\vec{v}## are the initial and final velocities respectively, then:
    ##\vec{p}_1=m_1\vec{u}_1## etc. but in your case ##m_1=m_2=0.5\text{kg}=m## so ##\vec{p}=m(\vec{u}_1+\vec{u}_2)##

Vector addition using unit vectors works like this:

if ##\vec{u}=u_x\vec{\imath}+u_y\vec{\jmath}## and ##\vec{v}=v_x\vec{\imath}+v_y\vec{\jmath}##;
    then ##\vec{u}+\vec{v}=(u_x+v_x)\vec{\imath}+(u_y+v_y)\vec{\jmath}##

Rewrite your calculations like this and they'll probably make more sense.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  4. Mar 22, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are these your answers or just a "template"? Do you mean for each that the answer is supposed to be of the form __ i+ __ j kg*m/s where you are to fill in the blanks? If so, why have you not made any attempt to solve them yourself? Do you know what "momentum" is?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What are the initial kinetic energies of block 1, block 2, and the system of blocks?

What are the final kinetic energies of block 1, block 2, and the system of blocks?

What is the change in kinetic energy of the system of blocks due to the collision?
    J

2. Relevant equations

p=mv

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried P1x= -10-40*.5
    p1y=0
    p2x=2.5-40*.5
    where i got the final velocity from m1v1 +m2v2 + etc. =m1v1 +m2v2 + etc.[/QUOTE]
    So what did you get? Why are you not showing us what you did and what result you got?

5. Mar 24, 2013 #4
    Yes this is a "template" for my class. I am to solve for each of the following. I have tried and simply do not understand. I missed this particular class due to illness and havent managed to understand the material. Least not this part.
    My answers werent submitted because i figured they'd be irrelevant. The computer counted them as wrong. I showed how i got the answers.

6. Mar 24, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

We don't understand your working as you have written it - we need to see how you are thinking about the problem more clearly in order to best help you. Did you follow the suggestions in post #2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted