Momentum-speed homework question

• Thread starter sweetpea1993
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating impulse, change in momentum, and final speed of a cart when an average force of 10 Newtons is exerted for 2.5 seconds and the mass of the cart is 2kg. The formula imp=Ft is used to calculate impulse and the change in momentum is the same as the force of impulse. To calculate the final speed, the formula Ft=mv is used since the cart is initially at rest.
sweetpea1993
ok so i need so serious help. the question is:
A)what impulse occurs when an average force of 10 Newtons is exerted on a cart for 2.5 sec?
I use the imp=Ft formula
imo= (10n)(2.5sec)
imp= 25 sec

B)what change in momentum does the cart undergo?
i don't know, is it the same force as impulse?

C)if the mass of the cart is 2kg and the cart is initially at rest calculate the final speed.
for this one would you use final - initial time??

Physics news on Phys.org

sweetpea1993 said:
ok so i need so serious help. the question is:
A)what impulse occurs when an average force of 10 Newtons is exerted on a cart for 2.5 sec?
I use the imp=Ft formula
imo= (10n)(2.5sec)
imp= 25 sec

B)what change in momentum does the cart undergo?
i don't know, is it the same force as impulse?

yes it is.

sweetpea1993 said:
C)if the mass of the cart is 2kg and the cart is initially at rest calculate the final speed.
for this one would you use final - initial time??

Well Ft=mv-mu, initially at rest means u=0, so you just have Ft=mv. You can easily get 'v' from here.

What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How is momentum different from speed?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying mass and velocity. Speed, on the other hand, is the rate at which an object is moving and is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken.

Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. In physics, the direction of momentum is taken into account. If an object is moving in the opposite direction of its mass, its momentum will be negative.

How does momentum affect collisions?

In a collision, momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Momentum also determines how much an object will change its motion during a collision.

What are the units of momentum?

The units of momentum are kilogram meters per second (kg m/s). This is derived from the units of mass (kilograms) and velocity (meters per second).