Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monodirectional Electromagnetic *field*

1. May 23, 2009 #1

taylaron

Gold Member

Hi There, i've grown an interest in the concept of a mono-directional electric or magnetic field. I am aware of a theory of physics (i do not know which one) which states that any magnetic field lines must be a closed loop. Could anyone direct me to some apparently failed experiments attempting to disprove this theory?

So in essence, you would have a device or material that has a magnetic or electric field of sorts that propagates in one direction away from the object. no closed loop; it would go forever.

does quantum physics predict a phenomenon like this?

regards,
    -Tay

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2009 #2
    In the particle-wave dualism, electromagnetic energy can behave either as waves or as particles (photons). If a bare proton captures a free electron, the electron will cascade down through various atomic states, finally going through a 2p-> 1s transition. The various photons have a well defined wavelength lambda = h c/E where E = h v. These photons propagate away from the source at the velocity of light, with their electric E and magnetic H vectors both perpendicular to the direction of motion. Photons like these could travel half way across the Universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook