1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monodirectional Electromagnetic *field*

1. May 23, 2009 #1

taylaron

Gold Member

Hi There, i've grown an interest in the concept of a mono-directional electric or magnetic field. I am aware of a theory of physics (i do not know which one) which states that any magnetic field lines must be a closed loop. Could anyone direct me to some apparently failed experiments attempting to disprove this theory?

So in essence, you would have a device or material that has a magnetic or electric field of sorts that propagates in one direction away from the object. no closed loop; it would go forever.

does quantum physics predict a phenomenon like this?

regards,
    -Tay

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2009 #2
    In the particle-wave dualism, electromagnetic energy can behave either as waves or as particles (photons). If a bare proton captures a free electron, the electron will cascade down through various atomic states, finally going through a 2p-> 1s transition. The various photons have a well defined wavelength lambda = h c/E where E = h v. These photons propagate away from the source at the velocity of light, with their electric E and magnetic H vectors both perpendicular to the direction of motion. Photons like these could travel half way across the Universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook