1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monster E&M Question (Coulomb's Law, Electric Potential, Kinematics)

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1

kosovo dave

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton (charge +1e and mass 1.67e-27kg) and an alpha particle (charge +2e and mass 6.64e-27kg) are placed 3 fm (1 fm=10e-15m) apart.
    a)what is the force on each particle
    B)what is the potential energy of the system?
    c)what is the acceleration of each particle at the beginning?
    d)after a long time the two particles are far apart. what is the speed of each particle at this point?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]F = ( q_1 q_2) / 4 π ε_0 r^2 = (k q_1 q_2) / r^2[/itex]
    [itex]U = q v = ( q_1 q_2) / 4 π ε_0 r[/itex]
    [itex] K E = 1 / 2 m v^2[/itex]
    [itex] F = E q = m a [/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    a) Using Coulomb's Law, I found the force to be 51.2 N.
    b) substituting my values into the second equation above, I got that the potential energy of the system is 1.5e-13 J.
    c)Using the fourth equation above I found the accelerations. For the proton I got 3e28 m/s^2. For the alpha particle I got 8e27 m/s^2.
    d) This part got a little tough. Realizing that the acceleration decreases as the particles move apart, I tried to integrate their acceleration from their initial separation out to infinity, but this quickly proved to be tedious/confusing. Looking at it again, I realized that as the particles move towards infinity all of the potential energy will be converted into kinetic energy. So I solved equation 3, substituting my answer from b) in for the kinetic energy and the mass of each particle. I found the velocity of the proton to be 1.34e7 m/s and the velocity for the alpha particle to be 6.72e6 m/s.

Did I do this correctly? This question is from an old test my prof gave us to study (I don't have the solution) and I have no intuition for how quickly these types of particles should be moving.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2
    Yes.The procedure you did is correct.

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3

kosovo dave

Gold Member

Thanks! If I wanted to continue on my initial path of integrating (no pun intended) the acceleration to get the final velocity, could somebody show how that would work?

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4
    What the supposed pun supposed to be?

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5

kosovo dave

Gold Member

path of integrating = path integral. not a good one, but gimme a break -- I've been studying all day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted