Monster E&M Question (Coulomb's Law, Electric Potential, Kinematics)

In summary, two particles, a proton and an alpha particle, with charges +1e and +2e respectively, and masses 1.67e-27kg and 6.64e-27kg, are placed 3 fm apart. Using Coulomb's Law, the force between them is found to be 51.2 N. The potential energy of the system is calculated to be 1.5e-13 J. The accelerations of the particles are determined to be 3e28 m/s^2 for the proton and 8e27 m/s^2 for the alpha particle. When the particles are far apart, the integration of their acceleration is found to be tedious, but it is realized that all
kosovo dave
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A proton (charge +1e and mass 1.67e-27kg) and an alpha particle (charge +2e and mass 6.64e-27kg) are placed 3 fm (1 fm=10e-15m) apart.
a)what is the force on each particle
B)what is the potential energy of the system?
c)what is the acceleration of each particle at the beginning?
d)after a long time the two particles are far apart. what is the speed of each particle at this point?

Homework Equations

[itex]F = ( q_1 q_2) / 4 π ε_0 r^2 = (k q_1 q_2) / r^2[/itex]
[itex]U = q v = ( q_1 q_2) / 4 π ε_0 r[/itex]
[itex] K E = 1 / 2 m v^2[/itex]
[itex] F = E q = m a [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Using Coulomb's Law, I found the force to be 51.2 N.
b) substituting my values into the second equation above, I got that the potential energy of the system is 1.5e-13 J.
c)Using the fourth equation above I found the accelerations. For the proton I got 3e28 m/s^2. For the alpha particle I got 8e27 m/s^2.
d) This part got a little tough. Realizing that the acceleration decreases as the particles move apart, I tried to integrate their acceleration from their initial separation out to infinity, but this quickly proved to be tedious/confusing. Looking at it again, I realized that as the particles move towards infinity all of the potential energy will be converted into kinetic energy. So I solved equation 3, substituting my answer from b) in for the kinetic energy and the mass of each particle. I found the velocity of the proton to be 1.34e7 m/s and the velocity for the alpha particle to be 6.72e6 m/s.

Did I do this correctly? This question is from an old test my prof gave us to study (I don't have the solution) and I have no intuition for how quickly these types of particles should be moving.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.The procedure you did is correct.

Thanks! If I wanted to continue on my initial path of integrating (no pun intended) the acceleration to get the final velocity, could somebody show how that would work?

What the supposed pun supposed to be?

path of integrating = path integral. not a good one, but gimme a break -- I've been studying all day.

1. What is Coulomb's Law and how does it relate to electric charges?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law helps us understand how electric charges interact with each other and is essential in understanding the behavior of electric fields.

2. What is electric potential and how is it different from electric field?

Electric potential is a measure of the electrical energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is measured in volts and is related to the electric field by the equation V = Ed, where E is the electric field strength and d is the distance the charged particle has moved. Electric potential is different from electric field because it is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction, while electric field is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

3. How do I calculate the electric potential energy of a charged particle?

The electric potential energy of a charged particle can be calculated using the equation U = qV, where q is the charge of the particle and V is the electric potential. This equation relates the amount of work required to move the charged particle from one point to another in an electric field to the electric potential at those points.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to moving charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to moving charged particles. However, it is important to note that the force between the particles will vary depending on their relative velocities. This is taken into account by the concept of the Lorentz force, which describes the force on a charged particle moving through an electric and magnetic field.

5. How does electric potential affect the motion of charged particles?

Electric potential does not directly affect the motion of charged particles. However, it is related to the electric field, which does exert a force on charged particles. The motion of a charged particle in an electric field can be described using the principles of kinematics, which involves analyzing the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.