Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

1. Dec 28, 2006 #1
    I willingly set myself up for scorn and ridicule. I just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and I just don't get it. Yeah, I laughed a bunch of times, and enjoyed the funny bits in every scene, but all in all... Huh?:confused: Was there supposed to be anything pulling this together, or was the whole point the sporadic, random craziness?
    Also, who or what is Monty Python? (I'd read the credits, but the mooses keep distracting me.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ten for this, you must be mad???!!

4. Dec 28, 2006 #3
    Say wot?
    :bugeye:

5. Dec 28, 2006 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The whole film is a satirical swipe at religion and religious icons and those who believe in them. EDIT: Haha I somehow changed from The Holy Grail to the Life of Brian because I recently watched it. The holy grail is a satire of certain historical events and society of the time and also much silliness. If you can't recognise particular historical events or social customs in the film then many of the jokes will be lost. The film does not flow particularly well because its more of a patchwork of sketches than a coherent story. I was never as fond of the films as I was of the sketchs but they're still good :smile: [/edit]

Monty Python are a group of 6 comedians and there are many many many biographies on the internet. Many consider them some of the greatest sketch comedians ever.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  6. Dec 28, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You will burn in hell, heathen! :devil:

7. Dec 29, 2006 #6
    you kind of have to know a bit about king arthur. here's some good info (from where else??)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_python

i got the complete flying circus box set for xmas. it's 29hrs 9mins of monty python! :biggrin:

8. Dec 29, 2006 #7
    ridicule me all you want but i have never ever liked british comedy and thought every monty python I have ever watched was incredibly terrible.

9. Dec 29, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I feel for you. I really do.
    But, I guess it is OK to laugh at cake-throwing as well. :smile:

10. Dec 29, 2006 #9
    I must admit I do not get this whole thing about Monty Python either.
    And just because something can be seen as some "intellecto-allusion" doesn't make it funny.

Perhaps it is because I am not English. :smile:

But then again I can't get any satisfaction at singing, let alone hearing, a rendition of Tom Lehrer's elements either, and he is not English. :smile:

But for those who can't get enough: The Elements

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  11. Dec 29, 2006 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ah, poor You Jennifer!
    But, on the bright side, here's a nice cake for you:
    [​IMG]

Ducks and runs away..

12. Dec 29, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's just different senses of humor. I used to work with someone who would think it was hilarious to quote lines from Monty Python from time to time, and all I could do was look at her askew and wonder if she had lost her mind. "Getting" the jokes doesn't necessarily make them funny. Some people like that sort of humor, and some don't. Just like some people groan at bad puns and one-liners, and some of us can't help but laugh at them.

And, yeah, if you were expecting an actual movie, with a cohesive plot, you were bound to be disappointed from the start. They're pretty much a compilation of related sketches more than an actual movie. You might have had more of a chance if you knew to expect this before watching.

But, in the end, it's British humor...wait..humour...and that pretty much is all that needs to be said. :tongue:

13. Dec 29, 2006 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Behold the test of humor!
    If you don't find THIS silly to the point of hilarity, you're doomed:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  14. Dec 29, 2006 #13

Astronuc

By Jove - I think you've got it! :biggrin:

15. Dec 29, 2006 #14

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can see how it seems random, but I assure you the craziness is carefully timed. I think you'll find that much of modern American comedy is heavily influenced by Monty Python, particularly shows like The Simpsons and Scrubs, where surrealism, wordplay, and postmodernism are an integral part of the humor. There are some fairly consistent stylistic differences between British and American comedies, so maybe you just need time to get used to the former. Of course, Moonbear is right that different people have different senses of humor, but I wouldn't give up on MP just yet. If you get the chance, check out some of the original MP episodes. I found many of them to be much funnier than Holy Grail.

16. Dec 29, 2006 #15

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could try the film And Now for Something Completely Different, which was just a collection of their favourite sketches that had been done again. This might give you a better taste of what Monty Python is about.

17. Dec 29, 2006 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no need to ridicule you. After growing up with the Pythons and then not seeing any of their work for nearly 20 years, upon returning to it, it seemed a lot less funny than I remembered.

THen after watching most of the "Flying Circus" episodes on DVD, the humor grew back, and it got funnier and funnier.

Calling it "incredibly terrible" is of course just your opinion, and your bald assertion is easily dismissed when you realize that this crew, and this movie especially, are idolized by millions in every English-speaking country, plus millions more in the rest of the world.

In the battle of opinions, yours is crushed by sheer weight.

18. Dec 29, 2006 #17

Evo

The opening credits, the killer bunny, the Knights who say NI, the Black Knight, What's your favorite colour?, the French guards at the castle. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Time Bandits, although not a Monty Python film, was written by Terry Gilliam and Michael Paliin and also starred John Cleese. If I had to pick between Holy Grail and Time bandits, Time Bandits would be my choice.

19. Dec 29, 2006 #18
    David Warner absolutely stole every scene he was in!

20. Dec 29, 2006 #19

Evo

He was hysterical! "Slugs! He made slugs!" :biggrin:

21. Dec 29, 2006 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That part was supposed to go to Jonathan Pryce, but a prior engagement in theater prevented it. Probably a good thing, overall. Pryce went on to star in Gilliam's next film, Brazil.

What's the line after this: "Birds that talk?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?