Moon astronauts physics experiment

• Thread starter toolate
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Does anyone know if the first astronauts on the moon did an experiment like dropping a penny and a feather simultaneously? I just read that one pair of them hit a golf ball and threw a pole like a javelin, but that wouldn't have been my first choice of experiment.

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
Welcome to PF.

Those weren't real experiments, they were publicity stunts at best, but yes, on Apollo 15, an astronaut dropped a feather and a hammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Does anyone know if the first astronauts on the moon did an experiment like dropping a penny and a feather simultaneously? I just read that one pair of them hit a golf ball and threw a pole like a javelin, but that wouldn't have been my first choice of experiment.
The golf ball incident is an interesting story. It was done by Alan Shepard during Apollo 14, and no one at NASA knew what he was planning. He secretly altered a six iron club head so that it could be attached to a lunar sample scoop handle and then smuggled it and the golf ball onboard in his spacesuit. When he pulled out his "club" and ball, everyone at ground control was completely taken off guard.

russ_watters
Mentor
...and no one at NASA knew what he was planning.
Now that I didn't know. Very cool.