1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Experiment Ideas Using Snowboarding

1. Feb 6, 2016 #1
    I need an idea of what to test if I were to do a physics experiment about snowboarding. It can be one involving someone riding a snowboard or an empty snowboard. However, I would like it to be relatively simple, as in my rider doesn't have the skills to ride a half pipe or do any big jumps. I have considered an experiment testing the effects of different waxes on the board, but I'd like to do the experiment this weekend before all the snow melts where I live, and I won't have time to put each wax on and test it out.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2016 #2
    Instead of doing 'big jumps', if you could do a relatively large fall from a ledge, like a drop-off. You could do a simple projectile motion physics experiment?

Even if the fall is 1m, you could measure the distance you travelled, then convert that into your various velocity components etc.

4865316.jpg

4. Feb 7, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about working out how weight distribution effects speed? Eg do you go faster with more weight on the front or back foot?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted