Advice For My Physics Experiment

In summary: I'll try to make my argument more generic.In summary, the experiment requires wrapping a string around a pole a certain number of times and measuring the time it takes for the string to unwind.
zeldaspurpose
So for my curriculum I have to do a physics experiment and write a 2000 word essay on it. For my experiment, I'm planning to wrap a string with a ball attached to it n number of times around a pole and measure the time taken for it to unwind by changing variables such as the radius of the pole, the length of the string, the mass of the ball, the angle etc. I suggested this to my teacher and he said "Go ahead, but you have to figure out a way to control the force pulling, then you'll be fine." What does he mean by the force pulling? Also, how any suggestions on how I should control it?

Physics news on Phys.org
zeldaspurpose said:
figure out a way to control the force pulling, then you'll be fine.
PF tries not to hand people solutions on a plate so I will ask you what you actually had in mind to do in the experiment. How do you intend to provide the force and how do you intend to measure / "control" it? A diagram would enable us to discuss your ideas. Have you already drawn a diagram? If not, then you really should. :smile:

zeldaspurpose said:
What does he mean by the force pulling?

I assume he means the tension in the string.

I think your teacher means "controlling" gravity, that is changing the force pulling the ball downwards.

andrevdh said:
I think your teacher means "controlling" gravity, that is changing the force pulling the ball downwards.

Hmmm. Well, the obvious solution is to ask the instructor since this seems to be more of an issue with understanding the instructions and less with how to accomplish them.

Likes sophiecentaur
Drakkith said:
the obvious solution is to ask the instructor
That's always my reaction to this sort of question but I know that some teachers can be reluctant to get involved. Often it's because they are presenting ideas from somewhere / someone else and haven't really thought the proposed experiment through. Consequently it's a real drag when a student turns up and challenges them.
I did have similar problems at University, getting access to the right sort of help (particularly when I was late getting into a project - mea culpa)
Now we have an INTERNET, available to all, it is always worth while spend a long time searching for descriptions of similar experiments because a popular experiment will always have been written up and published somewhere. That skill is the very first one that students should learn but they need to be self motivated and self taught.

Likes Douglas Sunday
sophiecentaur said:
That's always my reaction to this sort of question but I know that some teachers can be reluctant to get involved.

If a student is unsure of what you're even asking them to do, I can't imagine why you wouldn't clarify for them. This reminds me of my weekly lab session. I swear we spend a quarter of the time or more just trying to figure out what the instructions are asking us to do...

Likes sophiecentaur
Drakkith said:
If a student is unsure of what you're even asking them to do, I can't imagine why you wouldn't clarify for them.
It's a pretty common problem for students. And it does take some nerve to march up and ask if you think you should actually know. Personally, I was always so interested in how they would do their practicals that I would get what was probably too involved and enthusiastic. That can wind 'em up too!

Likes Drakkith
Is there a misunderstanding as to orientation?
Google says (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=define:pole):

pole
pōl/
noun
noun: pole; plural noun: poles
a long, slender, rounded piece of wood or metal, typically used with one end placed in the ground as a support for something.
"a tent pole"

Tom.G said:
noun: pole; plural noun: poles
a long, slender, rounded piece of wood or metal, typically used with one end placed in the ground as a support for something.
"a tent pole"
The operative word is "typically". Many tents have horizontal ridge poles.
Quoting from dictionaries is seldom much use in a technical argument with people who's first language cannot be relied on to be the same version of English as ones own (that can include Engineers and engineering terms too).

the "obvious" way to control the pulling force is to alter the mass of the hanger (without changing its size or shape)

@zeldaspurpose
You have not replied to the thread. Have you been frightened off by the mass of responses? No need to be. We don't bite but we do tend to be very enthusiastic! :smile:

Likes zeldaspurpose
sophiecentaur said:
The operative word is "typically".

Yup. Just trying to clear up an ambiguity.
The Op in the original post said:
zeldaspurpose said:
n number of times around a pole and measure the time taken for it to unwind
That brought to mind a Tether Ball configuration, i.e. a vertical pole with a tethered ball attached to the top and school kids competing as to which way the tether could be wrapped around the pole.

Since all other responders assumed a horizontal pole, it seemed an appropriate question.

that is what I also thought (from the start) a vertical pole

Likes Tom.G

1. How do I choose a topic for my physics experiment?

Choosing a topic for your physics experiment can be a daunting task, but it is important to choose something that interests you and aligns with your skill level. Consider talking to your teacher or doing some research to find inspiration. You can also look for current events or real-world problems that can be explored through a physics experiment.

2. What are the key components of a successful physics experiment?

A successful physics experiment should have a clear goal, a well-defined hypothesis, and a detailed plan for data collection and analysis. It should also include proper controls, a large enough sample size, and accurate measurements. Additionally, a successful experiment should have the ability to be replicated by others.

3. How do I ensure the safety of my physics experiment?

Safety should always be a top priority in any experiment. Make sure to read and follow all safety guidelines provided by your teacher or institution. Wear appropriate protective gear and handle all equipment and materials with care. It is also important to have a first aid kit and emergency contact information readily available.

4. What should I do if my physics experiment does not turn out as expected?

Not all experiments will go as planned, and that's okay. It is important to analyze your data and determine if there were any errors in your procedure or if there were any external factors that may have affected your results. You can also consult with your teacher or peers for their input and suggestions for improvement.

5. How do I effectively present my physics experiment results?

When presenting your experiment results, it is important to organize your data in a clear and concise manner. This can be done through graphs, tables, and charts. You should also provide a thorough explanation of your findings and how they support or refute your hypothesis. Additionally, be prepared to answer any questions that may arise from your audience.