1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More reduction of order DiffEq goodness!

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the substitution [tex] y = (x^2 + 1)u [/tex] to solve the differential equation [tex] (x^2 +1)y\prime\prime = 2y [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I was having some trouble with these earlier because I needed to brush up on my trigonometric substitution. Let's try this one...

Making the substitution and simplifying the resultant equation gives us the differential equation [tex](x^2 + 1)u\prime\prime + 4xu\prime = 0[/tex]. Reducing the order then by substituting [tex] p = u\prime [/tex] [tex]p\prime = u\prime\prime[/tex] gives us the separable Deq [tex](x^2 +1)\frac{dp}{dx} + 4xp = 0 [/tex].

So

[tex] \frac{1}{p}dp = \frac{-4x}{x^2 +1} dx [/tex]

[tex] ln|p| = -2 ln|x^2 + 1| + C_1 [/tex]

[tex]p = C_1\frac{1}{(x^2 +1)^2} [/tex]

substitute [tex] x = tan \theta[/tex] to integrate the above equation to get U

[tex]u = C_1\int\frac{ sec^2\theta}{(1+tan^2\theta)^2}d\theta = C_1\int\frac{1}{sec^2\theta}d\theta = [/tex]

[tex]C_1\int cos^2\theta d\theta [/tex]

[tex]C_1\int \frac{1}{2} + \frac{cos2\theta}{2}d\theta = C_1(\frac{\theta}{2} + sin\theta cos\theta + C_2) [/tex]

substituting back x for theta we get:

[tex] u = C_1( \frac{tan^{-1} x}{2} + \frac{x}{x^2 +1} + C_2) [/tex]

and substituting u into the first substitution:

[tex] y = (x^2 +1)(C_1( \frac{tan^{-1} x}{2} + \frac{x}{x^2 +1}) + C_2). [/tex]

Hopefully I've made fewer errors this time around! :wink:

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\cos^2\theta\neq\frac{1}{2}[1+\sin(2\theta)][/tex]

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    I don't see where I made that substitution? I now see I did make an error on this line:

[tex]C_1\int \frac{1}{2} + \frac{cos2\theta}{2}d\theta = C_1(\frac{\theta}{2} + sin\theta cos\theta + C_2) [/tex]

The integral of [tex]\frac{cos(2\theta)}{2} = \frac{sin(2\theta)}{4} [/tex], which I then replaced with a trigonometric identity should end up as [tex]\frac{sin(\theta)cos(\theta)}{2}[/tex]...fortunately in this case I don't think the damage is too great as the factor of 1/2 should be swallowed by the constant!

5. May 24, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The factor of 1/2 isn't swallowed by the constant since the same constant multiplies another term. Fix the rest of your calculation with the 1/2 and you should be fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook