Morse-Kelley Class Comprehension axiom and Russell's paradox

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axiom Class Paradox
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
nomadreid
Gold Member
Messages
1,779
Reaction score
258
As I understand the ZFC solution to Russell's paradox, since {x|x[itex]\notin[/itex]x} must be {x|x[itex]\notin[/itex]x}[itex]\cap[/itex]S for some set S, the paradox goes away, but in Morse-Kelley, if I understand Class Comprehension correctly, although again there must be some M such that {x|x[itex]\notin[/itex]x}[itex]\cap[/itex]M, this M may be a proper class, which no longer is as limiting as the ZFC version, and hence no longer gives the same solution. So either I am going wrong somewhere, or MK solves Russell's Paradox in a different way. I would be grateful for enlightenment. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Class comprehension Axiom schema states that for any formula phi (with one free variable), there exists a class of all sets satisfying phi. It does not say that there exists a class of all classes satisfying phi. So there's a (proper) class of all sets which do not contain themselves, but there's no class of all classes which do not contain themselves. So Russell's paradox doesn't occur.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person