Infinitely recursive sets that don't contradict ZF Axiom of Regularity

• Thread starter andrewkirk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axiom Sets
In summary, the Axiom of Regularity is needed to prevent contradictions like Russell's Paradox arising. It says that any non-empty set A must contain an element x that is disjoint from A. This axiom prevents other forms of infinite, self-referential recursion.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello, I have just been reading about the Zermelo-Frankel (ZF) axioms for set theory and thinking about their consequences. I understand that the Axiom of Regularity is needed in order to prevent contradictions like Russell's Paradox arising. That axiom says that any non-empty set A must contain an element x that is disjoint from A.

I have seen the simple proof that this axiom prevents a set from being an element of itself.

Now I'm wondering whether it prevents other forms of infinite, self-referential recursion.

For example, are the following possible within ZF?
  • A is an element of B which is an element of A, hence giving infinite recursion with a two-step cycle: B = {A,x,y,...} = {{B,u,v,...},x,y,...} = {{{{B,u,v,...},x,y,...} ,u,v,...},x,y,...} etc
  • {A} is an element of A, so that A = {{A},b,c,...} = {{{{A},b,c,...}},b,c,...} = {{{{{{A},b,c,...}},b,c,...}},b,c,...}, etc?

I couldn't see an obvious proof that these are impossible, but I haven't had much practice with set theory.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
andrewkirk said:
Hello, I have just been reading about the Zermelo-Frankel (ZF) axioms for set theory and thinking about their consequences. I understand that the Axiom of Regularity is needed in order to prevent contradictions like Russell's Paradox arising.

This is NOT true! Regularity is not needed to prevent Russell's paradox. The other axioms of ZF (more precisely, the axiom of seperation) already prevents Russell's Paradox from arising.

That axiom says that any non-empty set A must contain an element x that is disjoint from A.

I have seen the simple proof that this axiom prevents a set from being an element of itself.

Now I'm wondering whether it prevents other forms of infinite, self-referential recursion.

For example, are the following possible within ZF?
  • A is an element of B which is an element of A, hence giving infinite recursion with a two-step cycle: B = {A,x,y,...} = {{B,u,v,...},x,y,...} = {{{{B,u,v,...},x,y,...} ,u,v,...},x,y,...} etc
  • {A} is an element of A, so that A = {{A},b,c,...} = {{{{A},b,c,...}},b,c,...} = {{{{{{A},b,c,...}},b,c,...}},b,c,...}, etc?

I couldn't see an obvious proof that these are impossible, but I haven't had much practice with set theory.

Let me present a definition and a theorem that will answer your questions:

A set A is Artins if there exists no sequence (x_n) of sets such that [tex]x_0\in A[/tex] and [tex]x_{n+1}\in x_n[/tex].

Then:

Theorem: The regularity axiom implies that all sets are Artins
Proof: Let A be a set. We can safely assume that A is transitive (take the transitive closure!). If there would exist a sequence from the definition, then we put [tex]x=\{x_0,x_1,...\}[/tex], then [tex]x\subseteq A[/tex] and [tex]x\neq \emptyset[/tex]. But x has no minimal element with respect to [tex]\in[/tex], and thus [tex]\in[/tex] is no well-founded relation. This contradicts regularity.

Note that the other implication is true in ZFC (that is, under the axiom of choice). Now, in your example, we have [tex]...\in A\in B\in A\in B\in A[/tex], which violates that all sets are Artins...

micromass said:
This is NOT true! Regularity is not needed to prevent Russell's paradox. The other axioms of ZF (more precisely, the axiom of seperation) already prevents Russell's Paradox from arising.

Wouldn't you agree with that it is not the axiom of separation that prevents Russell's paradox, but the fact that it replaced an axiom which allowed it (unrestricted comprehension)?

Jarle said:
Wouldn't you agree with that it is not the axiom of separation that prevents Russell's paradox, but the fact that it replaced an axiom which allowed it (unrestricted comprehension)?

Yes, of course, that's what I meant :smile: Unlimited comprehension allowed Russell's paradox, while replacing it with separation does not make Russell's paradox possible. My point was that there was no axiom of regularity needed.

Of course, that does not mean that ZF will be consistent, there can still be a paradoxical statement. However, it can easily be shown that ZF is consistent if and only if ZF with regularity is consistent. Thus if there is a paradox in ZF, then there would also be a paradox in ZF + regularity. Thus it is not regularity that solves Russel's paradox...

It's worth mentioning that ZF with regularity and with unrestricted comprehension would still fall prey to russell's paradox: Let R be the set of all sets not contained in themselves. This set will of course be empty and thus not contained in itself, but by virtue of its definition it must be contained in itself. With our without regularity unrestricted comprehension implies russell's paradox.

Thanks Micromass.

So in the examples I gave, the set that breaches the axiom of regularity would be:
  • in the first case ([tex]...\in A\in B\in A\in B\in A[/tex]), X={A,B}. Because [tex]B\in X\cap A [/tex] and [tex]A\in X\cap B[/tex], so there is no element of X that is disjoint from X.
  • in the second case ([tex]...\in A\in \{A\}\in A\in \{A\}\in A[/tex]), X={A,{A}}. Because [tex]\{A\}\in X\cap A [/tex] and [tex]A\in X\cap\{A\}[/tex], so there is no element of X that is disjoint from X. (I see now that this is the same as the previous case - we just write B={A}).

andrewkirk said:
Thanks Micromass.

So in the examples I gave, the set that breaches the axiom of regularity would be:
  • in the first case ([tex]...\in A\in B\in A\in B\in A[/tex]), X={A,B}. Because [tex]B\in X\cap A [/tex] and [tex]A\in X\cap B[/tex], so there is no element of X that is disjoint from X.
  • in the second case ([tex]...\in A\in \{A\}\in A\in \{A\}\in A[/tex]), X={A,{A}}. Because [tex]\{A\}\in X\cap A [/tex] and [tex]A\in X\cap\{A\}[/tex], so there is no element of X that is disjoint from X. (I see now that this is the same as the previous case - we just write B={A}).

Yes, that's basically it!

As an aside, adding axioms cannot eliminate logical contradictions. If you have an inconsistent theory, the way to make it consistent is to remove axioms.

That's how ZFC avoids Russel's paradox. Cantor's set theory had the full power of the axiom of unrestricted comprehension. ZFC, on the other hand, merely limits itself to a few special cases (e.g. pair set, power set, specification) that is enough to do mathematics, but collectively weak enough as to be unable to reproduce any of the known derivations of contradictions in set theory.

1. What is an infinitely recursive set?

An infinitely recursive set is a set that contains itself as an element, and this element contains itself as an element, and so on infinitely. This means that the set is defined in terms of itself, creating an infinite loop.

2. How is this different from the concept of a self-referential set?

A self-referential set is a set that references itself in its definition, but does not create an infinite loop. In contrast, an infinitely recursive set creates an infinite loop, which can lead to paradoxes and contradictions.

3. Can infinitely recursive sets exist within the ZF Axiom of Regularity?

Yes, it is possible to have infinitely recursive sets within the ZF Axiom of Regularity. This is because the ZF Axiom of Regularity only prohibits sets that contain themselves as elements, not sets that contain themselves indirectly through an infinite loop.

4. What are some examples of infinitely recursive sets?

One example is the set of all sets that do not contain themselves as elements. This set contains itself as an element, which contains itself as an element, and so on infinitely. Another example is the set of all sets that do not contain the number 7 as an element, which contains itself as an element, and so on.

5. How do infinitely recursive sets impact mathematical theories and systems?

Infinitely recursive sets can lead to paradoxes and contradictions, which can challenge the foundations of mathematical theories and systems. They also demonstrate the limitations and complexities of set theory and the need for careful consideration of definitions and axioms.