Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mossbauer Effect how does it work?

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    I know what the Mossbauer effect is. I know the crystal as a whole accepts the recoil not just the atom emitting the gamma ray. But the gamma emission is a fast nuclear event say 1E-22 seconds. The distance, in terms of time, to the nearest neighbor atom is 3E-19 seconds not to mention the distance, in terms of time, to an atom 100 unit cells away is 3E-17 seconds. It would seem the momentum would have to be transferred faster than the speed of light. How does this work???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Well, I think the explanation is that the emitting atom sits in a preexisting electrostatic potential, and its recoil pushes against that, as a local interaction. It's true the recoil eventually has to be imparted to the other atoms through a readjustment of the electrostatic field, but this does not have to take place at the moment the gamma ray is emitted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook