Most dangerous chemicals?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
I'm so sorry for you and your friend's loss, JR. I've started carrying Narcan in my medical kit now on my EMS shifts. I wish I was there to respond.
I carry that around too. As a nasal spray. But I frequent weird places as you might imagine.

Oh and unfortunately I’ve had reason to use it more than once.

562E877F-115D-41F6-9C65-55B68DCBBA35.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Useful but dangerous chemicals include nitrogen based rocket propellants such as
Most explosives constitute 'dangerous chemicals' but rocket fuels are stored and used in quite large quantities and, in the case of manned rockets, in close proximity to humans.

Klystron said:
Useful but dangerous chemicals include nitrogen based rocket propellants such as
Most explosives constitute 'dangerous chemicals' but rocket fuels are stored and used in quite large quantities and, in the case of manned rockets, in close proximity to humans.
In that sense, the most dangerous chemical is the one that stores the most energy right? something radioactive? :nb):eek:

Scott Manley on the subject of propellants....good stuff .

fresh_42 said:
I have read about a British girl who died (liver failure) from an overdose of paracetamol. I don't remember the exact dose, but it wasn't much. And if you do not like liver failure, then there is still ibuprofen (kidney failure). And you surely do not want to survive, but probably will, an ASA overdose.

One doesn't need opioids to cause damage. This entire thread only exists because nobody ever said what "dangerous" in the OP actually means.
Not many people remember as it transpired close to 9/11 but ironically the guy the FBI think was responsible for the Amerithrax letters comitted suicide using OTC painkillers.

As I understand that’s a really nasty and painful way to go. Especially if you’re in the US and presumably have access to a handgun, not to mention definitely access to anthrax. I wonder why he chose that particular exit. He must’ve had access to god knows what.

EDIT: Corrected spelling error.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I have read about a British girl who died (liver failure) from an overdose of paracetamol. I don't remember the exact dose, but it wasn't much. And if you do not like liver failure, then there is still ibuprofen (kidney failure). And you surely do not want to survive, but probably will, an ASA overdose.
In Europe they were able to reduce the number of deaths from paracetamol overdose by selling the pills in smaller packages:

https://www.bmj.com/press-releases/...umber of deaths and,today on bmj.com suggests.

Likes BillTre
phyzguy said:
Doesn't work. a) You could simply go to many different drug stores, and b) get it in the first one by referring to a). So it only affects overdoses by accident.

fresh_42 said:
Doesn't work. a) You could simply go to many different drug stores, and b) get it in the first one by referring to a). So it only affects overdoses by accident.
Well, it did work. If you read the article, it reduced the deaths by 47%. I don't know how much was suicide and how much was accidental overdose, but probably both. It's well known that reducing access to guns reduces the suicide rate. Sometimes people are despondent and suicidal, but the feeling doesn't last forever. If you make it harder to commit suicide, later they feel better and are glad they didn't go through with it.

Likes BillTre
phyzguy said:
I don't know how much was suicide and how much was accidental overdose, but probably both
I once worked on an external "artificial liver" for acute liver crises caused mostly from ongoing OD from Tylenol The problem with Acetominophen (paracetamol) is the tight long term dose window and its seemingly ubiquitous analgesic use. Folks taking several different meds could get into a cumulative dose sufficient to cause acute crises. There was clearly sufficient demand to warrant a pretty good R&D budget from some fat cats. I don't think this was driven by suicide attempts using acetominophen volitionally

Likes DaveE
“Botulinum toxins are among the most potent toxins known to science.”

Sausage poiaon

“The estimated human median lethal dose of type A toxin is 1.3–2.1 ng/kg intravenously or intramuscularly, 10–13 ng/kg when inhaled, or 1000 ng/kg when taken by mouth.”

Mentor edit: automatic Wikipedia links removed.

I think it is time to close this thread before we drift any further into suicide instructions. The question cannot be answered as long as the term 'dangerous' remains unspecified. My grandma used to say that anything with a 'too' in front of it is dangerous, be it too much or too many as in our cases of matter or too few in some other cases.

This thread is locked now.

Likes docnet, Bystander, berkeman and 2 others