Most effective way to pinch a rubber tube?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WouterWouter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rubber Tube
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
WouterWouter
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am looking for the most effective shape to pinch a rubber tube. The most effective shape requires the least force.

Given a tube of certain diameter/thickness, I want to know whether I should use a flat, curved, knife edged or whatever type of pinch and what thickness it should have.

A reference to a good book or site about this is also welcome!



Wouter
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ranger Mike said:
vise grips

:smile: A temporary, but very effective approach. It serves the same purpose as a make-shift vasectomy, but you don't want to even think about the pain...
Wouter (I'm not going to repeat myself), what is the reasoning for capping these things off? Are you trying to maintain internal pressure, or nullify external pressure? My approach has always been to just buy a $.03 rubber cap and snug it down over the tube if it's a low pressure or vacuum situation. For higher pressure, squirt some silicone sealant into the end of the hose and clamp it shut with Vise-Grips until it's dry (give it at least 2 days).
 
I'm picturing a inner tube for a bicycle tire or something similar...

Try 2 pieces of wood, like 1x2's or 2x4's cut them a couple inches long depending on how wide your tube is and clamp one on each side of the tube with carpentry clamps. Not permanent or pretty but effective.
 
disposable blue plastic hemostats, for soft tubing under .5" diameter, liquid or air. You won't beat the speed, price, and effectiveness.

They have a flat bearing surface, which slopes down to a wider base as a main thickness of each blade part of the hemostat.