What's the most effective way to study/learn physics?

In summary: Video lectures are great for reviewing material or finding out more about a concept, but they are not an effective way to learn the material on its own. Physics textbooks are also good for learning on their own, but there is not as much interaction with the professor.
Rhi_heart_Phy
Ive always been fascinated by the subject, and i absolutely love learning new concepts, especially when theyre intriguing and brain-twisting, but i can never seem to grasp onto the depths of concepts for a long time. Suppose, if i stop working out problems for a week or so on a particular concept while i work on another concept, i end up forgetting what i studied last week. How am i supposed to deal with this? How can i do brilliantly academically (in physics)?

Likes symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
I am at the end of my M.Sc. now and let me tell you that this is completely normal. If I wanted to solve an exercise of a year ago from a different subfield that I am currently working on, I would have to review the material. However, how good you were back then determines the time needed to get back to the level you were on at that time.
Even a professor will have troubles solving an exercise of an undergraduate class of a different field than he is specialized in, even he would need at least a bit of reviewing (except for the case where he himself held the lecture in question several times already).

The exception are topics and problems that you worked on at multiple times during your studies. The more repitition, the more likely it will stick.

Likes Salvador Sosa, symbolipoint and Rhi_heart_Phy
Original Question: What's the most effective way to study/learn physics?

Answer: Go to school.

Zz.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Rhi_heart_Phy
ZapperZ said:
Original Question: What's the most effective way to study/learn physics?

Answer: Go to school.

Zz.
One would assume that Rhi_heart_Phys is already in school and in either high school, or college. He did not really say if he is or is not in school, so we can just assume, or we/someone could ask if he is.

Rhi_heart_Phys, WHAT are you studying currently, and in what manner? College or university now? (and how is your Mathematics?)

Likes Rhi_heart_Phy
symbolipoint said:
One would assume that Rhi_heart_Phys is already in school and in either high school, or college. He did not really say if he is or is not in school, so we can just assume, or we/someone could ask if he is.

Rhi_heart_Phys, WHAT are you studying currently, and in what manner? College or university now? (and how is your Mathematics?)

Im a freshman undergrad majoring in biochemistry and life sciences. I had taken physics all throughout high school, but I am not very good at it, as i mentioned. I did not take math in the last two years of high school, so that's not great either. I do know basic level integral and differential calculus and trigonometry ( I've not faced any major difficulties with the math part of derivations and stuff, so far.)

PS. I am a girl.

Rhi_heart_Phy said:
Im a freshman undergrad majoring in biochemistry and life sciences. I had taken physics all throughout high school, but I am not very good at it, as i mentioned. I did not take math in the last two years of high school, so that's not great either. I do know basic level integral and differential calculus and trigonometry ( I've not faced any major difficulties with the math part of derivations and stuff, so far.)

PS. I am a girl.
You will at least have the requirement to earn one year's worth of Calculus and one additional Mathematic requirement, probably involving Differential Equations and Linear Algebra; and three semesters of Physics for Engineers & Scientists. You may also receive some guidance as a group for how to study Physics. Take that advice seriously when it comes. Your Phys professors will likely give the needed guidance to the group/class.

Biology and Biochemistry are tough in their own ways. Don't be afraid of Physics, even though it is tough too. If you are really worried, study ahead! When you are in the beginning Physics 1 course, or even before, look at the syllabus. Study the topics in order from the assigned book, BEFORE it is presented in class. Try also to do example problems as you go. You will also find that you need to read, and reread many parts of the chapter or section multiple times to gain enough understanding.

Likes Rhi_heart_Phy
I don't think i'd be able to take classes from the physics dept. because its not included in my course structure, but the professors would definitely help clear queries and doubts. Would it be less efficient if i learned through video lectures and physics textbooks?
Thank you for the advice.

Rhi_heart_Phy said:
I don't think i'd be able to take classes from the physics dept. because its not included in my course structure, but the professors would definitely help clear queries and doubts. Would it be less efficient if i learned through video lectures and physics textbooks?
Thank you for the advice.
Yes, much less efficient and much less effective. This is how ZapperZ's response becomes important as key. In this case, Go To School means, "Go To the Right Classes".

Okay.. I guess i could get special permission from the management. Thanks so much for the help! :)

Rhi_heart_Phy said:
Okay.. I guess i could get special permission from the management. Thanks so much for the help! :)
You should not need any such special permission, but the needed courses for Mathematics and Physics should be built-into your major program. One would guess that you are attending a system in a geographic region which operates different than do others. Maybe you meant, "management", as in being employed in a company which decides whether to re-reimburse your school costs. (?)

The physics and math classes arent built-into the program. Here, the system runs in a very different way from majority of the universities around the world. and by management, i meant the university committee which prescribes the syllabus. and its still kind of unconventional to have physics and math part of a bio-oriented course. Well, i DO have a bio-physics class but that's only in semester III

Last edited:
So you want to learn physics as a hobby, basically.
If so, I recommend the book Halliday Physics. It covers big parts of the undergraduate experimental physics and is not too mathematical/theoretical, so you don't need to learn much more maths before you start (which is important, as you only have limited time next to your biological studies).

Likes Rhi_heart_Phy
Oh no, not as a leisure activity, its for the med school entrance test that id be taking after a couple of years. It contains a physics section and i heard that the physics (including physical chemistry) part is tricky and very conceptual-based.

Rhi_heart_Phy said:
Oh no, not as a leisure activity, its for the med school entrance test that id be taking after a couple of years. It contains a physics section and i heard that the physics (including physical chemistry) part is tricky and very conceptual-based.

If you are in the US, I suggest enrolling in a physics course specifically designed for pre-med/life science majors. There are many of those, and I myself have thought several of those classes. Many community colleges offer such classes, which means that you might be able to take such a course for credit AND at a substantially lower cost.

You should have stated this fully WAY in the beginning, and not make some generic question about "... most effective way to study/learn physics ...". It took Post #13 before we are told the exact reason and goal for you wanting to do this.

Zz.

Likes Rhi_heart_Phy
Yes, i shouldve mentioned it way in the beginning, apologies for that.. But I am not from the us and i don't have the options of taking physics classes in colleges. However, today i did find out about a few tutors who take "coaching classes" specifically designed for this test and i will be enrolling in one of them soon.
Thanks for helping.

Rhi_heart_Phy said:
Rhi_heart_Phy said:
Yes, i shouldve mentioned it way in the beginning, apologies for that.. But I am not from the us and i don't have the options of taking physics classes in colleges. However, today i did find out about a few tutors who take "coaching classes" specifically designed for this test and i will be enrolling in one of them soon.
Thanks for helping.
You are studying for a degree in Biology or Biochemistry, attending a college or university outside of the US, want to be able to study and understand Physics to be able to understand necessary concepts for a Medical School entrance qualifier test, but you are not allowed to study the necessary Physics as part of your institution's own program? This makes poor sense when all put together.

symbolipoint said:
You are studying for a degree in Biology or Biochemistry, attending a college or university outside of the US, want to be able to study and understand Physics to be able to understand necessary concepts for a Medical School entrance qualifier test, but you are not allowed to study the necessary Physics as part of your institution's own program? This makes poor sense when all put together.
Yes. The system has a lot of limitations and is not as flexible as universities in the us.

1. What study methods are most effective for learning physics?

The most effective study methods for learning physics include practice problems, conceptual understanding, and active learning. Practice problems help reinforce important concepts and equations, while conceptual understanding allows for a deeper understanding of the material. Active learning, such as through group discussions and experiments, also enhances understanding and retention of physics concepts.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Improving problem-solving skills in physics requires regular practice. Start with simple problems and work your way up to more challenging ones. It is also helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to clearly identify the given information and what is being asked. Additionally, seeking help from teachers, tutors, or classmates can provide valuable insights and strategies for problem-solving.

3. Is it better to memorize equations or focus on understanding concepts in physics?

While it is important to have a basic understanding of key equations in physics, it is more important to focus on understanding the underlying concepts. This allows for a deeper understanding of how the equations are derived and how they can be applied to various problems. Memorization without understanding may hinder problem-solving abilities and limit the ability to apply concepts to new situations.

4. Are there any helpful online resources for studying physics?

Yes, there are many helpful online resources for studying physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. These websites offer instructional videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help with understanding and retention of physics concepts. Additionally, many textbooks also have accompanying online resources.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying physics?

Staying motivated while studying physics can be challenging, but setting specific goals and breaking up study sessions into manageable chunks can help. Additionally, finding a study group or partner can provide accountability and support. It can also be helpful to take breaks, engage in activities you enjoy, and remind yourself of the real-world applications and importance of understanding physics.