Motion of Objects: Physics Exercise Explanation

• Thread starter chemistry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics exercise involving two cyclists and their trajectories. The trajectory of the cyclists is considered to be rectilinear and the reflector on the front wheel of one cyclist is determined to follow a curtate cycloid curve. The other two answers given are also correct.
chemistry1
Hi, I have begun physics and we are seeing systems of reference as an introduction.Now I have a small exercise which I'm not sure of, I would need you to check if it's correct or not.

There are two cyclists A and B. Suppose that you take place on a sidewalk and look at them pass. They move to the right and to a constant speed.

What trajectory do you associate to the cyclists ? Rectilinear (so, one "x" axis.)

What answer would the cyclist A give if we asked her to determine the trajectory of cyclist B ? Rectilinear also.

Represent the trajectory of the reflector placed in the front wheel of cyclist B, such that you would see her from the sidewalk.
bicyc.jpg

The curves are halfs of a circle and I considered that the reflector began at half the height of the wheel.( so there's the highest point, middle point and the case where the reflector "touches" the ground.)

THank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic idea is right, but the curves are not half-circles. Think of the moment where the reflector touches the ground. What is its speed forwards at that point? Compare this to the speed the reflector has at the top, and at the front and back of the wheel.

I've been suggested that it's a cycloid. Btw are the other two correct ? thank you

The linear things? Yes.

It is a cycloid, right.

mfb said:
The linear things? Yes.

It is a cycloid, right.
To be frank, I did not expect it at all... it makes me quite ashamed ^^

chemistry1 said:
I've been suggested that it's a cycloid. Btw are the other two correct ? thank you
The in-wheel reflectors I've seen are not that close to the periphery of the wheel. The curve would be a curtate cycloid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloid#Related_curves

Yeah, it makes more sense. Thanks for the correction!

1. What is the definition of motion in physics?

Motion in physics is defined as the change in position of an object over time. It can be described in terms of displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. Therefore, an object with a constant speed but changing direction has a changing velocity.

3. How is acceleration related to motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is directly related to the object's motion because it determines how quickly the object's velocity changes.

4. What is the role of forces in the motion of objects?

Forces are necessary for the motion of objects. They can either cause an object to start moving, change its speed or direction, or bring it to a stop.

5. Can an object's motion be affected by its mass?

Yes, an object's mass can affect its motion. A larger mass requires more force to move it at the same acceleration as an object with a smaller mass. Therefore, an object with a larger mass will have a slower motion compared to an object with a smaller mass when the same amount of force is applied.