1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of two constrained masses

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The attached images shows everything. ([itex]{\bf{e}}_1[/itex] denotes the direction of X and [itex]{\bf{e}}_2[/itex] denotes the direction of Y).

Initially, the spring is force free when [itex]X_{0}=0.4 m[/itex] (which yields [itex]Y_{0}=0.3 m[/itex]). Also, at this instant, the velocity of B is [itex]{\bf{V}}_{B0}=-v_{0}{\bf{e}}_{2}[/itex] such that the corresponding velocity of A is [itex]{\bf{V}}_{A0}=v_{0}(Y/X){\bf{e}}_{1}=0.75v_0{\bf{e}}_{1}[/itex].

I'm asked to find the minimum value of [itex]v_0[/itex] for which B hits the floor.

2. Relevant equations
    Energy conservation yields
    [tex](\frac{1}{2}m_{B}V_B^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{A}V_A^{2})-(\frac{1}{2}m_{B}V_{B0}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{A}V_{A0}^{2})+\frac{1}{2}k(X_{0}-L)^2=0[/tex]
    However, the kinematic constrains (L is constant) yields
    [tex]XV_{A}+YV_{B}=0[/tex]
    So, when B hits the floor, [itex]Y=0[/itex] so that, at this instant, [itex]V_{A}=0[/itex]. Hence,
    [tex]V_B^{2}=(V_{B0}^{2}+\frac{m_{A}}{m_{B}}V_{A0}^{2})-\frac{k}{m_B}(X_{0}-L)^2=v_{0}^{2}(1+\frac{2}{3}(0.75)^{2})-\frac{100}{3}(0.4-0.5)^2[/tex]
    Now, my requirement is that [itex]V_B=0[/itex] when it hits the floor, so that the last equation yields
    [tex]v_{0}\approx0.49 m/s[/tex]
    while the right answer is
    [tex]v_{0}\approx0.37 m/s[/tex]
    Am I doing/assuming something wrong here?

I would appreciate your help!

3. The attempt at a solution
    See the previous item.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

While it would help if you show more steps, I agree with your result. 0.37 m/s would be the speed of A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted