Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion without space

1. Mar 22, 2003 #1
    There is a book called THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE which suggests that empty space does not exist. If this were true could there be motion in the univeres?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2003 #2
    shifted compared to what?

if every thing shifts along with me then it is relatively same as nothing is shifting at all if i change the point of observation so that it shifts along with me.

my A to Salnex Q:
    empty space could not exist and yet there can be movement cause not all types of matter are with same density. for example speeding bullet goes thru water just like that.

4. Mar 25, 2003 #3

Eh

That there is no empty space is derived from quantum mechanics. In that realm, our everyday ideas about "motion through space" do not apply. How particle A moves from point A to point B, is not the same as you'd expect. Does anyone have a link explaining this?

5. Jun 11, 2003 #4
    what do you mean that moving from point a to point b is not as expected?

6. Jun 11, 2003 #5
    is it being suggested that in the quantum world there is no empty space? How do we know there is empty space in the larger than quantum world?

7. Jun 11, 2003 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to quantum mechanics, there is no empty space anywhere, at any scale. Space a teeming bath of virtual particles of all kinds. Quantum electrodynamics (QED), the quantum-mechanical description of the interaction of light and matter, is based upon the notion of these virtual particles. QED is also probably the most experimentally successful physical theory of all time -- it has succeeded in theoretically predicting the values of very esoteric characteristics of electrons (like their gyromagnetic ratio) to hundreds of (experimentally verified) decimal places.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?