1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor in a pulley system with weight help! (Sort of a dynamics problem)

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At the instant shown, point P on the cable has a velocity 12 m/s, which is
    increasing at the rate of 6m/s^2. Determine the power input of motor M at this
    instant if it operates with an efficiency of 0.8. The mass of the block A is 50kg. I've attached a picture of the problem.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    Power = F*v (F=force, v=velocity)

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I did was make an attempt at drawing free-body diagrams. For the block A of 50kg, I did:

2T-mg=ma; 2T-50(g)=50(6); T= 395 N

Then for point P, I assumed 395 = force of the motor, and thus:
    395(12)= 4,740
    Input Power = (4,740/.8) = 5,925 W

This is wrong obviously, and was hoping if someone could help me out on where I'm going wrong.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think a bit more about the acceleration of block A. Are you sure it's the same as the acceleration of point P?

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    Well, reviewing some previous examples, it doesn't. How do I go about solving for the acceleration for block A, and does it matter for the overall problem? Because I can't solve the following equation:

2T-mg = ma; as I do not know T nor a
    and I'm not entirely positive about the free-body diagram at point P other than Force of motor pointing downwards, and Tension pointing upwards (i.e what does that equal to?).

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4
    deleting my post.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  6. Sep 22, 2012 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can get the acceleration of block A in terms of the acceleration of point P. First consider displacements. If point P moves 1 m down, how far does block A go up?
    [P.S. You won't need a free-body diagram for point P. You already have the correct equation for block A: 2T-mg = ma.]

7. Sep 22, 2012 #6
    That is incorrect unfortunately. I've tried that also. The answer given is that the Power input should be 4803.75 W.

Solving your way does not give that answer (.8 = Power_input/Power_output).

8. Sep 22, 2012 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once you get the correct acceleration for block A, you will get the correct answer by repeating your original calculation.

9. Sep 22, 2012 #8
    I'm really bad with multiple pulley-systems. Because there are 2 pulleys, is the acceleration just for block A just 1/2 of that at point P?

10. Sep 22, 2012 #9
    Yes i've done it wrongly by taking point P as reference.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  11. Sep 22, 2012 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, block A has 1/2 the acceleration of P. Try to imagine what would happen if you used your hand to lift block A and its pulley by 0.5 m. That would leave 1.0 m of slack in the string due to there being string on both sides of the pulley connected to A. So, point P would need to travel 1.0 m down to take out the slack. So, P always moves twice as far as A. Thus P is always moving twice as fast as A. Hence, during any time interval, the change in speed of P is always twice the change in speed of A. Therefore, the acceleration of P is twice the acceleration of A.

12. Sep 22, 2012 #11
    So the acceleration of block A would be 3 m/s^2 ?

Putting this into the equation: 2T-mg=ma; where m=50kg and a = 3m/s^2, solving for T gets me 320 N.

P_input = 320(12), and solving for P_ouput; ((320(12)/.8)=4800W.

Did I do everything correctly? Because the answer given is 4,803.75W...

13. Sep 22, 2012 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try g = 9.81 m/s^2 rather than 9.8

14. Sep 22, 2012 #13
    Thank you so very much! Cleared up a lot of confusion for me!

15. Sep 22, 2012 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good work, emzee1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook