Motor and Pulley System with weight help (Kind of a Dynamics Problem)

In summary, at the instant shown, the block A is being accelerated by the force of the motor at a rate of 5.925 watts.
emzee1

Homework Statement

At the instant shown, point P on the cable has a velocity 12 m/s, which is
increasing at the rate of 6m/s^2. Determine the power input of motor M at this
instant if it operates with an efficiency of 0.8. The mass of the block A is 50kg. I've attached a picture of the problem.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Power = F*v (F=force, v=velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

All I did was make an attempt at drawing free-body diagrams. For the block A of 50kg, I did:

2T-mg=ma; 2T-50(g)=50(6); T= 395 N

Then for point P, I assumed 395 = force of the motor, and thus:
395(12)= 4,740
Input Power = (4,740/.8) = 5,925 W

This is wrong obviously, and was hoping if someone could help me out on where I'm going wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,202
Physics news on Phys.org
You can treat this as conservation of energy if you know how fast the weight is being raised.

You can think your way through this - i.e. does the top pulley matter? What are the speeds of the points on the other two sections of rope at the same height as P?

I'm not sure about the last point you made. Is the weight being pulled as fast and at the same rate as point P?

I'm not sure about the last point you made. Is the weight being pulled as fast and at the same rate as point P?
It's a pulley system - in your experience, is this generally true of pulleys?

You should have done problems involving pulleys by now.
If you don't have experience of pulleys or physics involving pulleys by now: get some!

Off that last point:
See that bit of rope from the ceiling going down to the pulley on the block?
Pick a point on that rope at the same height as point P.
Is that point moving?

So, after reviewing my notes. Block A isn't moving as fast/at the same rate as point P. How do I exactly solve for the acceleration for block A? Seeing I have these two equations then:

2T - mg = ma; where I don't know T or a (acceleration) of the block

At point P, the only two forces I can think of is T pointing upwards, and the Force of the motor pointing downwards. But what do I set this equation equal to?

So, after reviewing my notes. Block A isn't moving as fast/at the same rate as point P. How do I exactly solve for the acceleration for block A?
You'll have an example in your notes for just that.

Put a small mass at point P, which you can set to 0 later on.
So T-F=ma and 2T-Mg=Ma

That may help.

But - considering the pulley system and your notes about pulleys - you should be able to find a short-cut. If you pull on the motor end with speed v, how fast does the block rise?

Figured it out, block A has 1/2 the acceleration of point P

Cool - now you know the rate that the engine is doing work (lifting the block against gravity) and you know it's efficiency. You should be able to answer the question.

1. What is a motor and pulley system?

A motor and pulley system is a mechanical device that uses a motor to rotate a pulley, which in turn moves a belt or cable that can lift or move objects. This system is commonly used in industrial machinery, elevators, and other applications where heavy loads need to be lifted or moved.

2. How does a motor and pulley system work?

The motor provides the power to rotate the pulley, which then moves the belt or cable. As the belt or cable moves, it creates tension that allows it to lift or move objects attached to it. The size of the pulley and the speed of the motor determine the amount of force and speed of the movement.

3. What is the purpose of using a motor and pulley system?

The main purpose of using a motor and pulley system is to lift or move heavy objects that would be difficult or impossible to do manually. This system allows for precise control and can lift or move objects vertically, horizontally, or at an angle. It is also more efficient and less labor-intensive compared to manual methods.

4. What factors affect the performance of a motor and pulley system?

The performance of a motor and pulley system can be affected by several factors, including the size and power of the motor, the size and speed of the pulley, the weight of the load, and the friction of the belt or cable. The angle of the pulley and the condition of the system's components can also impact its performance.

5. How can I calculate the force and speed of a motor and pulley system?

To calculate the force and speed of a motor and pulley system, you will need to know the weight of the load, the size and speed of the pulley, and the power of the motor. You can use equations such as Newton's Second Law of Motion and the formula for work and power to determine the force and speed of the system. It is also important to consider friction and other external factors that may affect the system's performance.