1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor and Pulley System with weight help! (Kind of a Dynamics Problem)

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At the instant shown, point P on the cable has a velocity 12 m/s, which is
    increasing at the rate of 6m/s^2. Determine the power input of motor M at this
    instant if it operates with an efficiency of 0.8. The mass of the block A is 50kg. I've attached a picture of the problem.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    Power = F*v (F=force, v=velocity)

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I did was make an attempt at drawing free-body diagrams. For the block A of 50kg, I did:

2T-mg=ma; 2T-50(g)=50(6); T= 395 N

Then for point P, I assumed 395 = force of the motor, and thus:
    395(12)= 4,740
    Input Power = (4,740/.8) = 5,925 W

This is wrong obviously, and was hoping if someone could help me out on where I'm going wrong.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can treat this as conservation of energy if you know how fast the weight is being raised.

You can think your way through this - i.e. does the top pulley matter? What are the speeds of the points on the other two sections of rope at the same height as P?

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    I'm not sure about the last point you made. Is the weight being pulled as fast and at the same rate as point P?

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's a pulley system - in your experience, is this generally true of pulleys?

You should have done problems involving pulleys by now.
    If you don't have experience of pulleys or physics involving pulleys by now: get some!

Off that last point:
    See that bit of rope from the ceiling going down to the pulley on the block?
    Pick a point on that rope at the same height as point P.
    Is that point moving?

6. Sep 22, 2012 #5
    So, after reviewing my notes. Block A isn't moving as fast/at the same rate as point P. How do I exactly solve for the acceleration for block A? Seeing I have these two equations then:

2T - mg = ma; where I don't know T or a (acceleration) of the block

At point P, the only two forces I can think of is T pointing upwards, and the Force of the motor pointing downwards. But what do I set this equation equal to?

7. Sep 22, 2012 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You'll have an example in your notes for just that.

Put a small mass at point P, which you can set to 0 later on.
    So T-F=ma and 2T-Mg=Ma

That may help.

But - considering the pulley system and your notes about pulleys - you should be able to find a short-cut. If you pull on the motor end with speed v, how fast does the block rise?

8. Sep 22, 2012 #7
    Figured it out, block A has 1/2 the acceleration of point P

9. Sep 23, 2012 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Cool - now you know the rate that the engine is doing work (lifting the block against gravity) and you know it's efficiency. You should be able to answer the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook