Motor: rotating blades in opposite directions?

In summary, the individual is seeking a mechanical mechanism to rotate two disks in different directions with only one motor. They have considered using two small DC motors but want to use only one. Possible solutions include using pulleys or gears, such as a figure eight belt setup or bevel gears.
Richard_Steele
I'm asking myself how can I achieve the next solution:
I've a plastic case with the shape like a box, where I've 2 blades: one in the front and the second in the other. My question is how can I rotate the disks in the different direction: one clockwise and the other counter-clockwise.
What mechanical mechanism can I employ to accomplish this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have any ideas that you've been considering?

the first and the only idea that I've though about was to use 2 small dc motors each one moving 1 blade at time.
But of course, it would require 2 times more power because I would use 2 motors. Instead, I want to use only 1 motor. That is the main question.. How?

There are many options. Easiest, if the two disks' axles don't have to be collinear, is just to put on on the motor shaft (or shaft coupled with the motor) and put a 1:1 gear or pulley to another shaft for the other disk.

If they do have to be collinear, then off the top of my head I forsee three shafts. One drive shaft from the motor on which there are two pulley wheels. Then each disk axle has it's own shaft and pulley. On one set of pulleys between drive shaft and disk axle you have a normal pulley arrangement, on the other you have a figure eight belt setup.

Or you could use gearing instead of pulleys. Gearing get's more complicated as you'll need another gear+shaft to get one of them to spin the other way, which makes fitting everything in a tight spot a little interesting.

Or a bevel gear from the motor running two bevel gears on two colinear shafts.

Likes 1 person
oh...haha. Good point.

Bevel gears are the most practice one in the solution I was looking for.

1. How does a motor with rotating blades in opposite directions work?

A motor with rotating blades in opposite directions works by using electromagnetic forces to create rotational motion. The blades, which are attached to a central rotor, rotate in opposite directions due to the interaction of the magnetic fields created by the motor's stator and rotor.

2. What is the purpose of having rotating blades in opposite directions in a motor?

The purpose of having rotating blades in opposite directions is to cancel out the reactive forces created by the motor's rotation. This allows for a smoother and more efficient operation of the motor, reducing vibrations and increasing its lifespan.

3. What are the benefits of using a motor with rotating blades in opposite directions?

There are several benefits to using a motor with rotating blades in opposite directions, including increased efficiency, reduced vibrations and noise, and improved stability and control. Additionally, this type of motor can handle higher loads and operate at higher speeds without overheating.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a motor with rotating blades in opposite directions?

One potential drawback of using a motor with rotating blades in opposite directions is the increased complexity and cost of the motor. This type of motor requires more precise engineering and manufacturing, which can drive up the cost. Additionally, the design of the motor may limit its use in certain applications.

5. What are some common applications of motors with rotating blades in opposite directions?

Motors with rotating blades in opposite directions are commonly used in various industrial and commercial applications, such as in fans, blowers, pumps, and compressors. They are also used in household appliances like vacuum cleaners and hair dryers, as well as in transportation vehicles like airplanes and helicopters.