Motor Sizing for Wheel Endurance Testing

In summary: If so, the motor would only need to generate enough torque to overcome the resistance of the belt or VFD at the angular velocity(s) of interest. In summary, the engineer would need to size the motor to have enough torque to overcome the wheel friction at the desired angular velocity.
SR71
TL;DR Summary
Motor sizing for wheel endurance testing
I am working with a wheel endurance testing application. I am trying to size a motor for the system. Basically, I have a drum which has to be rotated by the motor. I have different size wheels that I have to test. The motor is supposed to rotate the drum and then the wheel is pushed onto the drum with a force.

My question is when I want to find the torque (Fx perpendicular distance) do I use the radius of the drum or the radius of the wheel being tested? Currently, I am using the radius of the drum as the wheel is being pushed onto the drum but this gives me huge numbers as the wheel is pushing with 1000-2500 lbs of force.

Thank you in advance.

Link:
Wheel Endurance FBD.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the motor is on the drum then use the drum radius. If it is on the wheel then use the wheel radius.

Torque will be different in both cases but so will be the angular velocity. In both cases, the power will always be the same.

Likes SR71
SR71 said:
My question is when I want to find the torque (Fx perpendicular distance) do I use the radius of the drum or the radius of the wheel being tested? Currently, I am using the radius of the drum as the wheel is being pushed onto the drum but this gives me huge numbers as the wheel is pushing with 1000-2500 lbs of force.
How is the radius of the drum or wheel relevant for this? The force is aligned with the axles so it's got no leverage. Am I misunderstanding the drawing? Or are you obtaining the tangential component due to the friction?

Since the angular velocity is constant during the test (or so I think from the video), I would say to size the motor you just need it to have enough torque to overcome the friction from the bearings and the friction due to the deformed wheel rolling.
I guess the second one should be the greatest one but I don't know how to derive it yet.

Attachments

• 1690647772315.png
    1690647772315.png
    14 KB · Views: 52
Likes Juanda and Lnewqban
Welcome, @SR71 !

Due to the different diameters of wheels to be tested, I recommend to engineer a variable velocity connection between motor and drum.
It could be a variable pulley-belt system, or a VFD (variable frequency drive), for example.
I assume each test has one or several specified angular velocities for the wheel.

Likes Juanda and Tom.G

1. What is the purpose of motor sizing for wheel endurance testing?

The purpose of motor sizing for wheel endurance testing is to determine the appropriate size and power of a motor needed to conduct endurance testing on wheels. This involves calculating the required torque and speed for the motor to simulate real-world conditions and ensure the wheels can withstand extended use.

2. How is motor sizing for wheel endurance testing determined?

Motor sizing for wheel endurance testing is determined by considering the weight and size of the wheels, the desired testing speed and duration, and any additional factors such as inclines or obstacles that may affect the testing. This information is used to calculate the required torque and speed for the motor.

3. What are the key factors to consider when selecting a motor for wheel endurance testing?

The key factors to consider when selecting a motor for wheel endurance testing include the torque and speed requirements, the motor's power and efficiency, the type of motor (e.g. DC or AC), and the motor's durability and ability to withstand prolonged use.

4. Can any type of motor be used for wheel endurance testing?

No, not all motors are suitable for wheel endurance testing. The motor must be able to provide the necessary torque and speed for the testing, as well as have the durability to withstand prolonged use. Additionally, the motor must be compatible with the testing equipment and able to accurately simulate real-world conditions.

5. How important is motor sizing for the accuracy and reliability of wheel endurance testing?

Motor sizing is crucial for the accuracy and reliability of wheel endurance testing. If the motor is not appropriately sized, it may not be able to accurately simulate real-world conditions, leading to inaccurate test results. Additionally, an undersized motor may not be able to withstand prolonged use, resulting in equipment failure and potentially compromising the safety of the testing process.