Motorcycle Helmet Construction

In summary, the conversation is about making a helmet with a science-fiction look and the certification process for wearing it in Thailand. The person has experience with using HJC helmets and is considering using their P.I.M technology for the homemade helmet. They are also discussing using a pepakura 3D model or 3D printing for the main shell, and using the foampads from their HJC helmet for the inside. There is also a discussion about bonding the materials together and the potential costs of certification.
tadydrift
Hi everybody,

I am new in this forum, and i have to say that i am not the best in physics but, i always loved playing with paint, carbon fiber and fiberglass etc...

I had an idea of trying to make a Helmet with a science-fiction look ( halo ) and make it legally to wear it ( In thailand )

I have used HJC Helmets for 3-4 years and i learned about their P.I.M (Premium Integrated Matrix) technology

Here is a link to it :
http://www.motozone.co.nz/resources/products/16168-40.388/hjc-pim-premium-integrated-matrix-technology.pdf

it has 4 main composite

- aramid twill epoxy
- Fiberglass twill epoxy
- Utra high Molecular Polyetylene
- Organic Non-woven Fabric

Those are the materials for the main helmet Shell, I used too make some mold from ABS bike parts.
But for the helmet i am willing to do i have no ABS real-model

The only think i have is a pepakura 3D model and a OBJ 3D model ready to be 3D printed, i wanted to ask if the pepakura could be used as mold ( i have never done pepakura before ).
3D printed main shell would make it easier to make a mold and have greater details but would cost more.
As for the pepakura, i think it will be hard to make it details but would cost way lower price and would be just good for a prototype maybe?

As for the inside i would make my own expended polystyrene shell, but i still lack a lot of knowledge in polystyrene. but i think i will use my HJC RPHA 10 helmet for reference for the polystyrene shell, so that i can use the foampads from my HJC helmet on my new homemade helmet.
P.S : but i have never bonded 4 materials together, so i would like to know a bit about bonding those particular 4 materials together, i think trying to reproduce this P.I.M tech. won't be easy, but if i can it would give a strong shell, as i experienced with my HJC helmet in some motorcycle racing crash

Thank you and feel free to comment, advise, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
tadydrift said:
I had an idea of trying to make a Helmet with a science-fiction look ( halo ) and make it legally to wear it ( In thailand )
What is the certification process and how much does it cost?
I think you'd be better off buying a commercial unit (Google 'halo motorcycle helmet' for examples) than trying to get a home made helmet certified.
Google 'destructive testing', that's what certification will probably include. Do you want to make 10 helmets by hand and watch 9 get destroyed? I'm sure that'll cost more than a single, certified retail unit (699USD).

Likes tadydrift and berkeman
billy_joule said:
What is the certification process and how much does it cost?
I think you'd be better off buying a commercial unit (Google 'halo motorcycle helmet' for examples) than trying to get a home made helmet certified.
Google 'destructive testing', that's what certification will probably include. Do you want to make 10 helmets by hand and watch 9 get destroyed? I'm sure that'll cost more than a single, certified retail unit (699USD).

Hi billy, thanks for your answer and advice, sure if i was outside Thailand like in france, it would cost like that price, for infos, materials and other tests in Thailand are relatively cheap 1 USD = 36-37 THB.

Sure buying a google one would be really easy, and more safe.
I will try to check out costs for materials to see if it's worth it.

thanks for your answer ;)

1. How are motorcycle helmets constructed?

Motorcycle helmets are typically constructed using a combination of materials such as polycarbonate, fiberglass, and carbon fiber. The outer shell is made of a hard material, while the inner layer is made of a softer, shock-absorbing material. The layers are then bonded together to create a strong and durable helmet.

2. Why is it important for a motorcycle helmet to have multiple layers?

Multiple layers in a motorcycle helmet provide better protection for the rider. The outer shell helps to disperse the impact of a crash, while the inner layers absorb the energy and reduce the force on the rider's head. This can greatly reduce the risk of serious head injuries.

3. How do manufacturers ensure the safety of motorcycle helmets?

Manufacturers must follow strict safety standards and regulations set by organizations such as the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Snell Memorial Foundation. These standards include impact testing, penetration testing, and chin strap strength testing to ensure the helmet can withstand a crash and properly protect the rider.

4. What role do aerodynamics play in motorcycle helmet construction?

Aerodynamics are an important aspect of motorcycle helmet construction as they can greatly affect the stability and comfort of the rider. Helmets are designed with streamlined shapes and features, such as vents and spoilers, to reduce wind resistance and improve ventilation for the rider.

5. How should a motorcycle helmet fit for optimal protection?

A proper fitting helmet should sit snugly on the head, with the chin strap securely fastened. It should not be too loose or too tight, and there should be no gaps between the helmet and the head. A helmet that is too loose can shift during a crash, while a helmet that is too tight can cause discomfort and restrict blood flow. It is important to try on different sizes and styles to find the best fit for your head shape and size.