Mousetrap using only Paper,Rubberband and glue stick

• Thread starter Cptjosh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of building a mousetrap with a trigger mechanism using materials like ping pong balls, glue, rubber bands, and paper. The participants suggest using origami techniques and analyzing each material's applicability for different tasks.
Cptjosh
Hello everyone.

The purpose is to be able to build a mousetrap with a trigger mechanism to initiate the trap. In my case it's a ping pong ball that will act as the mouse and will be rolled down from a ramp to the mousetrap. Once it's in the trap the ball must remain in place.

I need some ideas.

Any help appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Is this challenge part of your school or homework ?
It would be too obvious to use the glue to hold things together, the rubber band as a spring and the paper for the trap. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origami

So start by analysing each material on it's own to evaluate their applicability to different tasks.

Cptjosh said:
Hello everyone.

The purpose is to be able to build a mousetrap with a trigger mechanism to initiate the trap. In my case it's a ping pong ball that will act as the mouse and will be rolled down from a ramp to the mousetrap. Once it's in the trap the ball must remain in place.

I need some ideas.

Any help appreciated.
From paper you can make cardboard? You can shred paper and weave strands like wicker into any 3D shape desired?

Sounds like hours of fun, and totally app-free! :smile:

FAQ: Mousetrap using only Paper,Rubberband and glue stick

1. How do I make a mousetrap using only paper, rubberband and glue stick?

To make a mousetrap, you will need a piece of paper, a rubberband, and a glue stick. First, fold the paper in half horizontally. Then, fold the top corners down to the center crease to make a triangle. Next, fold the bottom corners up to the center crease to make another triangle. Apply glue to the folded edges and press them together to create a triangular prism shape. Finally, attach the rubberband to the two front corners of the trap, making sure it is stretched tight. Your mousetrap is now ready to use!

2. Will this mousetrap actually catch mice?

This mousetrap can be effective in catching mice, but it may not work for all types of mice. It may also require some trial and error to find the best placement and bait to attract mice. For best results, it is recommended to use this mousetrap in combination with other pest control methods.

3. How do I set up the mousetrap?

To set up the mousetrap, place it on a flat surface with the open end facing away from you. Pull the rubberband back and hook it onto the back corners of the trap. Then, place a small piece of bait, such as cheese or peanut butter, inside the trap. When the mouse enters the trap and goes for the bait, the rubberband will release and close the trap, catching the mouse.

4. How do I dispose of a mouse caught in the trap?

If you catch a mouse in the trap, it is important to dispose of it properly. First, make sure the mouse is deceased before handling it. Then, wear gloves and use a plastic bag to remove the mouse from the trap. Seal the bag tightly and dispose of it in an outdoor trash bin. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling the mouse.

5. Can I reuse the mousetrap?

Yes, this mousetrap can be reused multiple times. Simply remove the mouse and reset the trap by pulling the rubberband back and hooking it onto the back corners of the trap. You may need to replace the bait if it has been consumed or spoiled. It is also important to periodically clean the trap to prevent any buildup of bacteria or odors.

Back