Move a Part at Constant Speed Under its Own Weight

In summary, the device designs a wire apparatus that lowers a weight using the mass of the weight as the force, but then achieves a balance of forces when the velocity reaches 1 m/s.
omalleyt
How can I make a hanging weight attached to a wire move at a constant speed under its own weight? The mass of the weight may vary and is not known beforehand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Move where? What are the constraints on control? You haven't provided enough details for us to know what you are trying to do and what the constraints are.

My guess is to assume a frictionless environment. The question then becomes what is the shape of the curve that provides constant speed under the influence of gravity. The answer is a horizontal line, essentially eliminating any influence from gravity.

If friction or aerodyanmic drag is allowed, than any straight line path will result in some terminal velocity, but initially the object will be accelerating.

It is a little ambiguous what exactly is being asked. Constant velocity implies no net force, so your question makes me think about terminal velocity which is established through air resistance, or some sort of friction between the wire and something else. Alternatively, perhaps a counter weight of identical mass on the other side of a pulley is what your getting at.

Ok. Sorry, you guys are right my first question was really vague. Here's a better description of what I'm trying to achieve. I want to design a wire apparatus that lowers a weight using the mass of the weight as the force, but then somehow achieves a balance of forces when the velocity reaches 1 m/s. This is simple enough using friction (I think), but the problem is that different weights will be put on this apparatus under different conditions, and the terminal velocity for each has to be 1 m/s.

How about a variation of a flyball governor, wherein the flying weights have brake pad material on the leading edges and contact a surrounding cylinder? The faster it tries to fall, the more braking force is applied.

1. How does the weight of a part affect its movement at a constant speed?

The weight of a part can greatly affect its movement at a constant speed. The heavier the part, the more resistance it will have to movement due to gravity. This means that a heavier part will likely move slower than a lighter part at the same constant speed.

2. Is it possible to move a part at a constant speed under its own weight?

Yes, it is possible to move a part at a constant speed under its own weight. This is because the weight of the part will create a force of gravity, which can be balanced by an equal and opposite force, such as a motor or pulley system, to maintain a constant speed.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a part moving under its own weight?

The speed of a part moving under its own weight can be affected by several factors. These include the weight of the part, the surface it is moving on, the level of friction between the part and the surface, and any additional forces acting on the part (such as air resistance).

4. Why is it important to maintain a constant speed when moving a part under its own weight?

Maintaining a constant speed when moving a part under its own weight is important for several reasons. Firstly, it ensures that the part will move smoothly and consistently, which is essential for many industrial processes. Additionally, it can prevent the part from becoming damaged or breaking due to sudden changes in speed.

5. What are some real-life applications of moving a part at a constant speed under its own weight?

There are many real-life applications of moving a part at a constant speed under its own weight. One example is in conveyor belt systems, where parts or materials are moved at a constant speed using gravity and a motorized pulley system. Another example is in amusement park rides, where rides are designed to move at a constant speed under the gravitational force to create thrilling experiences for riders.