Max Impact of Free-Falling Bomb on Target

  • Thread starter Thread starter Numeriprimi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bomb Falling
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Numeriprimi
Messages
135
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have got a nice problem about free fall.
Consider a free-falling bomb vertically down at the target. The movement starts from rest. Bomb is giving sound - speed c= 340 m/s (from friction of air). What is the maximum impact of the bombs to her target (people) to hear sound alive ?


Homework Equations


I think I will use the equation of free fall and then the general equation for speed and acceleration.
s=1/2gt^2 (free fall)
s=ct (uniform motion sound)
v=gt (current speed uniformly accelerated motion)

The Attempt at a Solution


I think the basic premise is sound and that the bomb travels the same path:

1/2gt^2 = ct (calculate t)

Then t multiply the acceleration of gravity:

v= gt (and it is maximum velocity impact)

Of course it is, that the sound must be at the target faster (just) before the bomb.

It is right? Thanks very much (and sorry for my English).
 
Physics news on Phys.org