Moving down on a frictionless plane

In summary, the conversation involves a question about finding the mass of a shipping container being hauled up a frictionless ramp at a constant speed by a given force. The attempted solution involves using the equations Fx = mg sin(theta), F = ma, and A = Fx / m to calculate the mass, but the final answer was incorrect. The person is unsure of what they did wrong and tried the problem multiple times.
lacar213

Homework Statement

A shipping container is hauled up a roller ramp that is effectively frictionless at a constant speed of 2.10 m/s by a 2250 N force that is parallel to the ramp. If the ramp is at a 24.7° incline, what is the container's mass?

Homework Equations

Fx = mg sin(theta)
F = ma
A = Fx / m

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the equations above but I'm unsure if I'm doing this correctly ...
2250/9.8 = 229.592
229.592sin(24.7)=95.9389
2250/95.9389=23.4524 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I think you are doing it correctly.

Since it is at a constant speed that means no acceleration hence no Fnet (N2)

So the force that is pushing it up should be equal the the x component of gravity.

Fgx=Fapplied

mgsin(theta)=Fapplied

these problems are on the Kinematic Books website - that answer ended up being incorrect - it doesn't tell you what the correct answer is

I'm not sure what I did wrong ... I tried that problem 3 times

these problems are on the Kinematic Books website - that answer ended up being incorrect - it doesn't tell you what the correct answer is

I'm not sure what I did wrong ... I tried that problem 3 times

1. How does friction affect an object moving down a frictionless plane?

Friction does not have any effect on an object moving down a frictionless plane since there is no force opposing the motion.

2. What factors affect an object's speed while moving down a frictionless plane?

The only factor that affects an object's speed while moving down a frictionless plane is the initial velocity at which the object is released.

3. Can an object accelerate while moving down a frictionless plane?

Yes, an object can accelerate while moving down a frictionless plane if there is a net force acting on the object.

4. How does the angle of the plane affect an object's motion?

The steeper the angle of the plane, the faster the object will accelerate and the shorter the distance it will travel. A shallower angle will result in a slower acceleration and a longer distance traveled.

5. Is it possible for an object to move down a frictionless plane at a constant speed?

Yes, it is possible for an object to move down a frictionless plane at a constant speed if there is no net force acting on the object. This means that the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no acceleration.