1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving wires in magnetic field/force

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long straight wire 1 lies along the x-axis. A long straight wire 2 lies along the y-axis so as
    to pass very near, but not quite touch wire 1 at the origin. If both wires are free to move, what happens when currents are sent simultaneously in the +x direction through wire 1 and in the +y direction through wire 2? Note that “clockwise around origin” refers to an observer looking down on an xy plane in which +x is to the right and +y upward.

1. Both wires accelerate along the direction of current flow.
    2. 1 accelerates in the −y direction, 2 in the -x direction.
    3. Both wires rotate counterclockwise around the origin.
    4. 1 accelerates in the +y direction, 2 in the -x direction.
    5. Neither wire moves.
    6. 1 accelerates in the +y direction, 2 in the +x direction.
    7. 1 rotates counterclockwise, 2 clockwise around the origin.
    8. 1 accelerates in the −y direction, 2 in the +x direction.
    9. Both wires rotate clockwise around the origin.
    10. 1 rotates clockwise, 2 counterclockwise around the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the Right hand rule (#1) to find out the direction of the magnetic field on both wires, then i used the Right hand rule (#2) to find out the direction of the force to find out how it would move. I ended up getting wire 1 moving into the page, which doesn't seem right and is not in one of the answer choices.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2
    Nevermind, Solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook