Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MOX (Plutonium-Uranium mixed Oxide) Nuclear Fuel

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

I just read an article in POWER magazine for this month (January 2010) that Japan is now operating a MOX-fueled reactor.

In this article it is stated that MOX-fuel usage should be about 5% globally this year. Is that statement accurate given the small number of facilites that can produce MOX fuel?

Thanks
    Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The countries with lots of nuclear power (France and Japan) can run mox fuel in pretty much all of the plants, I think CANDUs can also run on MOX.

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3

Xnn

I don't believe the 5% figure is accurate.

MOX fuel is only about 5% Pu to begin with and the plants that do run it usually only load about a third of the core with it.

Are there any CANDU's on MOX?

5. Jan 12, 2010 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It might be 5% of plants, but I'd have to read the article. MOX is usually loaded in mixed core with UO2 assemblies. A number of EU programs - primarily France and Germany are running MOX assemblies. Japan recently started MOX. MOX is typically 6-8% Pu to match the 4.0-5% U-235 equivalent. The commercial MOX uses LWR RG Pu and not WG-derived Pu.

CANDUs have historically used natural U in UO2, but CANFLEX assemblies have been using slightly enriched U more recently.

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5
    Astronuc,

Here is a link to the magazine that contains the write up. It starts on page 8.

The title is "Japan Launches Commercial Operation of MOX-Fueled Reactor"

http://www.powermag-digital.com/powermag/201001_1#pg1 [Broken]

If you don't have an account, you'll have to create on, but it is free.

Thanks
    Matt

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook