MOX (Plutonium-Uranium mixed Oxide) Nuclear Fuel

• Thread starter CFDFEAGURU
  • Start date
Hello all,

I just read an article in POWER magazine for this month (January 2010) that Japan is now operating a MOX-fueled reactor.

In this article it is stated that MOX-fuel usage should be about 5% globally this year. Is that statement accurate given the small number of facilites that can produce MOX fuel?

Thanks
Matt

Answers and Replies

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In this article it is stated that MOX-fuel usage should be about 5% globally this year. Is that statement accurate given the small number of facilites that can produce MOX fuel?
The countries with lots of nuclear power (France and Japan) can run mox fuel in pretty much all of the plants, I think CANDUs can also run on MOX.

Xnn
I don't believe the 5% figure is accurate.

MOX fuel is only about 5% Pu to begin with and the plants that do run it usually only load about a third of the core with it.

Are there any CANDU's on MOX?

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It might be 5% of plants, but I'd have to read the article. MOX is usually loaded in mixed core with UO2 assemblies. A number of EU programs - primarily France and Germany are running MOX assemblies. Japan recently started MOX. MOX is typically 6-8% Pu to match the 4.0-5% U-235 equivalent. The commercial MOX uses LWR RG Pu and not WG-derived Pu.

CANDUs have historically used natural U in UO2, but CANFLEX assemblies have been using slightly enriched U more recently.

... but I'd have to read the article
Astronuc,

Here is a link to the magazine that contains the write up. It starts on page 8.

The title is "Japan Launches Commercial Operation of MOX-Fueled Reactor"

http://www.powermag-digital.com/powermag/201001_1#pg1 [Broken]

If you don't have an account, you'll have to create on, but it is free.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by a moderator: