MSc in Theoretical Physics as mature student

In summary, the conversation discusses the age and qualifications of an individual interested in pursuing a Master's and potentially a PhD in theoretical physics. They mention their previous degree and teaching experience, and express concerns about the difficulty of the program and the possibility of pursuing a PhD at their age. The conversation also includes encouragement and examples of older individuals successfully obtaining advanced degrees in the field.
Quantumjump
I'm a 32 years old teacher in mathematics and physics in a high school, and I obtained a first class BSc (Hon) in physics a couple of years ago, which was emphazided on theoretical physics in terms of option courses. However, I have always wanted to gain an MSc and, if possible, a Phd in theoretical physics, and for this purpose I plan to apply for an entry in 2010 at Imperial College London (MSc in quantum fields and fundamental forces). I have already taken a look on the programme on the net, but the question I would like to know is the following: how much is this Imperial MSc demanding, especially for mature students, if there is? are the courses so hard as paople say, especially string theory course, or do you have to be a genius to understand that? And also, is there any chance for a so aged as me to pursue in a Phd in theoretical physics, or is it hopeless?

Physics news on Phys.org
Old? Youre just a spring chicken.If you obtained a first you must be clever enough and I think the main difficulty you will have is relearning the stuff you forgot from your first degree.Why not contact Imperial and try to arrange a visit where you can discuss your concerns.Good luck with it.

The imperial site has a list of books to read for those who have had a few years away. It's a very short list you'll be pleased to know! 32 isn't old! The teaching experience may come in handy, in some places, if you want to become a lecturer -- for instance the Open University really like people with lots of teaching experience.

I got my second MS at 30 and my PhD at 35...

Age 32 for an MS is not out of the realm of possibilities...

Thanks to all of you for your explanations. I found a link with the needed prerequisites for the MSc at imperial, and I think I'll lokk at this more closely.Have a nice day everybody!

One of my fellow graduate students was a 45 year old truck driver. She just recently got her Ph.D in physics.

That is remarkable!

Brian_C said:
One of my fellow graduate students was a 45 year old truck driver. She just recently got her Ph.D in physics.

I'm a 43 year old pharmacist taking classes so I can apply for the masters in physics program at Wayne State.

As long as you can do the course work, age seems to be meaningless.

1. What is a "MSc in Theoretical Physics" and what does it entail?

A MSc in Theoretical Physics is a graduate degree program that focuses on the study of fundamental laws and principles of the physical world. This program involves advanced coursework in mathematics, physics, and other related fields, as well as research projects and a thesis. It is designed to provide students with a strong theoretical foundation and prepare them for careers in research or academia.

2. Can I pursue a MSc in Theoretical Physics as a mature student?

Yes, many universities offer MSc programs in Theoretical Physics for mature students. These programs are designed for individuals who have already completed their undergraduate degree and have relevant work experience, but are looking to further their education in this field. Admission requirements may vary, but typically include a strong academic background in mathematics and physics.

3. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a MSc in Theoretical Physics?

Graduates with a MSc in Theoretical Physics have a wide range of career opportunities, including positions in research, academia, and industry. Many go on to pursue a PhD in Physics or related fields, while others may work in fields such as engineering, data science, or finance. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills developed in this program are highly valued by employers in various industries.

4. How long does it take to complete a MSc in Theoretical Physics?

The duration of a MSc in Theoretical Physics program can vary, but typically takes 2-3 years to complete. This may depend on factors such as the university, the student's course load, and whether they are pursuing the program full or part-time. Some universities also offer accelerated programs for students with a strong background in physics and mathematics.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a MSc in Theoretical Physics?

Through a MSc in Theoretical Physics program, students will develop advanced knowledge and skills in theoretical physics, mathematics, and problem-solving. They will also gain experience in conducting research, analyzing data, and communicating scientific findings. Additionally, students will develop critical thinking, analytical, and computational skills that are applicable in a variety of fields.