MSc's degrees in Europe.... (Oceanogr./Atmosp./Planet./Envir.)

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on pursuing a MSc in a field related to Climate or Environmental Physics. They are specifically interested in an experimental curriculum with a focus on oceanography, glaciology, atmospheric physics, planetary physics, pollution models, climate change, and satellite-based Earth observation. They also mention a preference for low fees for EU students, potential field trips and research expeditions, and the presence of policy or economics courses. They speak English and German and are seeking personal advice from alumni or those with first-hand experience in choosing a reputable institution. They mention considering recommendations from the Royal Society and the Open University in the UK.
luxux
Hello,

I am about to complete my BSc in Physics and I'd like to pursue a MSc in a field related to Climate or Environmental Physics.
I'd like it to be a mainly experimental curriculum with a decent amount of simulation/data analysis and to be in a country with none to low fees for EU students (*not necessarily in Europe).
I think I'd like anything related to oceanography, glaciology, physics of the atmosphere, planetary physics, pollution models, climate change, satellite-based Earth observation.
I'd also like to do some field trips and a research expedition as a part of the master's thesis.

I also consider as a pro the presence of policy making or economics related courses in the program or as extra-curricular activities.

Googling I found even too many programs of this kind offered, therefore I'd like a more personal advice, from alumni or anything close to first-hand experience, as too choose a good institution.

I speak English and German apart from my mother tongue.

Thanks in advance

Likes Allin
Physics news on Phys.org
luxux said:
Hello,

I am about to complete my BSc in Physics and I'd like to pursue a MSc in a field related to Climate or Environmental Physics.
I'd like it to be a mainly experimental curriculum with a decent amount of simulation/data analysis and to be in a country with none to low fees for EU students (*not necessarily in Europe).
I think I'd like anything related to oceanography, glaciology, physics of the atmosphere, planetary physics, pollution models, climate change, satellite-based Earth observation.
I'd also like to do some field trips and a research expedition as a part of the master's thesis.

I also consider as a pro the presence of policy making or economics related courses in the program or as extra-curricular activities.

Googling I found even too many programs of this kind offered, therefore I'd like a more personal advice, from alumni or anything close to first-hand experience, as too choose a good institution.

I speak English and German apart from my mother tongue.

Thanks in advance
The Royal Society (UK) and the universities it recommends, and the Open University (for some distance-learning courses that are much more affordable than Lehigh University's; and for some campus laboratories in the summer time), before suscribing in a Msc at a university in England. The RS, whose I was a donator$, is the most credible & reputated learned society in the world. I have participated in its Internet forum in 1995 with 10 opinions. Nevertheless I believe that late Isaac Newton and some helpers, plagiarized the german inventor of calculus.

1. What is an MSc degree in Europe for Oceanography?

An MSc degree in Oceanography in Europe is a postgraduate program that focuses on the study of the Earth's oceans, including their physical, chemical, biological, and geological aspects. It typically takes 1-2 years to complete and requires a bachelor's degree in a related field.

2. What are the differences between MSc degrees in Atmospheric Science, Planetary Science, and Environmental Science?

MSc degrees in Atmospheric Science, Planetary Science, and Environmental Science all have a focus on different aspects of the Earth and its atmosphere. Atmospheric Science focuses on the study of the Earth's atmosphere, including weather patterns and climate change. Planetary Science focuses on the study of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies in our solar system. Environmental Science focuses on the study of the environment and how human activities impact it. Each program will have specific courses and research opportunities related to its focus.

3. What universities in Europe offer MSc degrees in Oceanography, Atmospheric Science, Planetary Science, or Environmental Science?

There are many universities in Europe that offer MSc degrees in these fields. Some examples include the University of Southampton in the UK for Oceanography, ETH Zurich in Switzerland for Atmospheric and Climate Science, the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands for Planetary Science, and the University of Copenhagen in Denmark for Environmental Science. It is important to research and compare different universities to find the best fit for your interests and goals.

4. What are the job prospects for graduates with an MSc degree in Oceanography, Atmospheric Science, Planetary Science, or Environmental Science in Europe?

Graduates with an MSc degree in any of these fields have a wide range of job opportunities in Europe. Some examples include working for government agencies, research institutes, or private companies in positions related to their specific field of study. They can also pursue further education and research opportunities, or work in education and outreach roles.

5. What are the requirements for international students to apply for an MSc degree in Europe?

The requirements for international students to apply for an MSc degree in Europe may vary depending on the university and country. Generally, students will need to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, meet the language proficiency requirements, and provide letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and transcripts. It is important to check the specific requirements for each university and program before applying.