MSNBC poll on impeachment disturbing

1. edward

edward 1,003
    Gold Member

I don't know about the demographics of those who voted in this poll, but it appears that 87% want Bush to be impeached. I hope it isn't set up so people can vote twice or more. That would be too much like the 04 election.:rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10562904

I am not a Bush fan, but I don't think that impeachment would be good for the country at this point. Perhaps he could just go into rehab with Ann Coulter.:wink:

2. jcsd
  3. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

I think that impeachment would be a good thing for this country. Perhaps it would generate some unpleasantness in the short term, but it would serve as a reminder to arrogant jerks that if they are elected president they are not automatically the emperor or the king of this country. Bush has trampled on our rights, traditions, and constitution for years with NO oversight from the Republican dominated Congress. After 9-11, the majority of the country was willing to give him a lot of latitude to address terrorism and security issues. Instead, he used 9-11 as an excuse to rampage into Iraq (that had NOTHING to do with 9-11 despite Cheney's recent lies) and destabilize an oil-producing region for the benefit of his friends and donors. That alone justifies impeachment and he's been piling on offenses ever since. He is absolutely the worst president in our history - he makes Nixon look like a piker.

4. Whats "not good for the country" about impeachment?

As Mclaughin loves to say, "bye byeeeeeeeeee"

I think impeachment is a great thing for the country. It shows that no one is above the law.

5. Surely no one can honestly say that Bush's crimes against state haven't far exceeded any presidential hanky panky on Clinton's part. If nothing else it might recapture some credibility in the world that US democracy works. My concern is that it should be a double impeachment, (do we really want Cheney?) if it were to go to completion.

6. edward

edward 1,003
    Gold Member

We are already in sh#t up to our ears. As much as I would like for it to happen, too many people who have other things to do would be tied up with an impeachment proceeding.

Now if we could impeach Bush/Cheney that would make it worth it.

7. And? Thats exactly why you should have an impeachment. What are they doing, they always do nothing anyways. They should do something for a change, instead of sitting back quietly like they always do.

8. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Thank you, Cyrus!!!! Our lawmakers ought to be working on our behalf instead of playing "wait and see" games with the parties and sucking up money from special interest groups. The offenses are public knowledge.

9. loseyourname

loseyourname 3,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's a little late to draw up impeachment proceedings. Bush is out of office in a year and a half, and the next round of presidential primaries is less than a year away.

10. Perhaps, but it might serve notice to this lame duck president that he needs to get control of himself. Otherwise the implicit message is he can carry on as usual until the bitter end, a somewhat dangerous proposition IMO.

11. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

They could still impeach him, and if convicted, disallow his pension and other benefits.

Probably won't happen though.

Bush can still pardon Libby and others who have violated the laws.

12. mathwonk

mathwonk 9,686
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

we should blame the imbeciles who actually voted for him. no one has ever been so up front as bush about his opinions and lack of expertise. the public knew exactly what they were getting. thats what scares me. what hope is there when the electorate cannot recognize a total incompetent like george bush? of course this ignores the fact that he apparently stole the first election and was not really the choice of the majority.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  13. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a long time I was more angry with US voters than Bush. I felt like the enemy has taken over the country; you know, people who support the use of torture and spying on innocent Americans. Yes, impeach him at any cost and no matter how long it takes. There is nothing more important; not even the war on terror. Bush has done far more damage than the terrorists of 911 did.

The actions of this administration cannot go unanswered. The Constitution and all that it stands for - the reason that people give their lives for this country - demands that Bush and Cheney be removed from office, and by force if needed.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  14. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

btw, that poll is meaningless. Clearly the people most motivated are most likely to vote. IIRC, over 30% of this nation still supports Bush.

15. Ivan,
    Do you know if thats(popularity rating) the lowest figure of its type since we began these polls?

16. ShawnD

ShawnD 986
    Science Advisor

What is required to impeach a president? Does the president need to break the law, or is it similar to a non confidence vote in other countries?

I don't particularly like Bush but it's hard to think of any valid reasons for impeaching him. Crap like the patriot act was done legally, so that's not it. I think the war in Iraq was also voted on and passed legally, so that ain't it.

I would be pretty surprised if support was as low as 30%. He still has a lot of support from extremist christians, and they make up a very large chunk of the country; think 40% ballpark. On top of that you need to add the "git er done" crowd who are not evangelical, and that might bump it up to around 50%, just like it was in the past 2 elections.

17. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to say that is correct but I can't say for sure... I think that's what I heard as well.

18. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many of us are firmly convinced that any appearance of legality is only an illusion brought to you by a highly corrupt Republican party.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_5696819

19. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Article II, Section 4 of the US Constitution: The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

This is why it was so important when the Democrats took control of the Congress. Now they can now investigate the activities of this administration -hear testimony as with the fired attorneys, and subpoena documents and other witnesses. While the Republicans held control, there was no chance of legitimate investigations. For example, this whole Gonzales business never would have come up because the testimony that led to the hearings never would have been allowed.

20. Excuse me? Jimmy Carter has had the lowest in US history I believe. He may have been beat by Andrew Johnson, but he was even lower than Nixon after Watergate.

21. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

He may not have been wildly popular as president, but he is widely regarded as an honest and earnest president, who did his best to fulfill the duties of his office. The same cannot be said of "W".

Jimmy Carter advocates for world peace, monitors elections, and domestically helps build homes for poor people. When Bush leaves office, he will join the Carlisle Group with his father, suck up up money from energy and defense businesses and enrich himself under the tutelage of James Baker.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?